Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Pictures" not "Photos"

When I scan a pdf to my laptop, a folder (?) titled "Pictures" comes up containing the scan, and it also contains the folder (?) "Photos." "Photos" is also available on my dock, but I can't seem to make "Pictures" stay in my dock. All I want to know is how can I get the folder "Pictures" without scanning something each time to make it appear.

I'm old and not good with tech, so please explain in simple terms! Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:50 PM

Pictures is a folder on your hard disk. You look at folders and files using finder. Here is a screenshot of a finder window. If you want to get to the pictures folder, click on home, then it will be one of the folders listed (see rectangles). If you want to get to it even quicker, you can create it as a favourite by dragging it to the side bar. (As arrow)

When you scan a pdf, your scanner creates a PDF file, and puts it in the pictures folder.

Photos on the other hand is an APP - which is why it can be put in the dock (like finder is an app and can be in the dock). The photos app is what you use to view photographs or other images that are in your photos library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 1:50 PM in response to VirginiaBurton

Pictures is a folder on your hard disk. You look at folders and files using finder. Here is a screenshot of a finder window. If you want to get to the pictures folder, click on home, then it will be one of the folders listed (see rectangles). If you want to get to it even quicker, you can create it as a favourite by dragging it to the side bar. (As arrow)

When you scan a pdf, your scanner creates a PDF file, and puts it in the pictures folder.

Photos on the other hand is an APP - which is why it can be put in the dock (like finder is an app and can be in the dock). The photos app is what you use to view photographs or other images that are in your photos library.

"Pictures" not "Photos"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.