Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 water damage

Hi everyone, I would really appriciate some guidance right now as a panicked college student that has no money.

about an hour ago I dropped my NEW iPhone 11 in the toilet for like one second before I swooped it up and started freaking out. I honestly don’t remember if it was fully submerged but my toilet bowl isn’t very deep.

it seems okay, I wiped it with a cloth and put it in rice for like 10 mins but then read that the rice trick is pointless so I took it out. I tapped the port onto my hand to see if water would come out (it didn’t), turned off the phone, took out the SIM card and now I have the phone sitting to dry on a cloth.

initially the phone seemed fine after the drop but when I tried to play music to see if the speakers were okay they sounded kind of muffled and scratchy. Which is sketching me out. Is my phone screwed?

has this happened to anyone else? I know the iPhone 11 is supposed to be water resistant but the fact that the speakers sound weird is freaking me out. What should I do?

Posted on May 3, 2021 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:00 PM

You have done all you can under the circumstances. It is clear to me that there has been some liquid damage to your iPhone 11. I am basing that on your report about the speakers not operating properly. Generally, liquid damage is immediate and permanent. It can also continue to get worse as time progresses.

At this time, if the speakers continue to sound muffled or scratchy then assume that there has been damage to them. Have your iPhone examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center to assess the whole thing. I am hoping, for you, that the damage is limited to the speakers because, if necessary, then you can live with this while the other functions of the iPhone continue to operate normally.

Axel F.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 9:00 PM in response to Morganandrews1

You have done all you can under the circumstances. It is clear to me that there has been some liquid damage to your iPhone 11. I am basing that on your report about the speakers not operating properly. Generally, liquid damage is immediate and permanent. It can also continue to get worse as time progresses.

At this time, if the speakers continue to sound muffled or scratchy then assume that there has been damage to them. Have your iPhone examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center to assess the whole thing. I am hoping, for you, that the damage is limited to the speakers because, if necessary, then you can live with this while the other functions of the iPhone continue to operate normally.

Axel F.

iPhone 11 water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.