Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone water damage

Hello, you'd already know this if you read the title, but my phone has a water damage. It got wet when I went into a swimming pool without taking it out of my pocket, once I realized I quickly took it out and turned it on to make sure it was working (which I now know was a mistake but I didn't then), and I saw the lock screen. I then tried to turn it on again and it didn't, and so I quickly dried it and quickly brought it home and put it in a bag of rice. then I did research, mainly one of which said that the bag of rice won't work in which I tried to turn it on again which it didn't work, I also did a few other things like taking out the sim card and putting it in the same bag of rice too. I later put it back in assuming it wouldn't do anything. Now what I want to know is if it's too late or if it's possible that my phone will work again.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 8:26 PM

Exactly what do you need out of it? It's it was properly backed up there's Apple's out of warranty replacement cost. Apple will accept the damaged iPhone and replace it with an equivalent "replacement device".

If you absolutely positively need data on the phone that wasn't backed up, then there are services that will attempt to fix them and get them working long enough to extract data (as a backup to iTunes) from the device. Most reputable services will say that they don't guarantee that it will be a long term fix. You'll have to research who can do something like that. And if you go that route, most likely Apple will refuse to accept the phone for any kind of repair or replacement in the future.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 8:26 PM in response to Armando522

Exactly what do you need out of it? It's it was properly backed up there's Apple's out of warranty replacement cost. Apple will accept the damaged iPhone and replace it with an equivalent "replacement device".

If you absolutely positively need data on the phone that wasn't backed up, then there are services that will attempt to fix them and get them working long enough to extract data (as a backup to iTunes) from the device. Most reputable services will say that they don't guarantee that it will be a long term fix. You'll have to research who can do something like that. And if you go that route, most likely Apple will refuse to accept the phone for any kind of repair or replacement in the future.

Jul 19, 2019 2:47 PM in response to Armando522

Armando522 wrote:
Not much actually, I can restore everything with icloud and I'm not worried about the Data as much, though isn't water damage beyond Apple's warranty?

Yes. As much as many people cite Apple's claims, in the end they have warranty terms that expressly state that liquid damage is not covered by the warranty. They do have a fairly simple policy of replacing liquid damaged iPhones for a fixed price.

Phone water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.