Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on updating MacOs (BigSur) on MacBook Pro M1

Hi, I'm using a new MacBook Pro with M1. Last week update of BigSur was stuck after downloading (during "preparing"). I succeeded updating reinstalling Big Sur from scratch. Today BigSur 11.3.1: same. Downloading ends correctly, then when it gets to "preparing" it stops to "15 minutes left" for hours. The "updatebrainservice" process gets 98% of CPU more or less. Tried to quit all apps, nothing works. Suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 4, 2021 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 3:57 AM

Workaround is to boot Mac into 'Safe' mode (hold down shift key when turning on until the Apple Symbol appears) - login in (you will see safe mode in red on the menu status bar) - then proceed with the update.

10 replies

May 4, 2021 6:39 AM in response to cosimo50

The Safe Mode booting will automatic perform the Repair Disk and clear Cache Files etc. There is not User Interaction required for this to happen.

As for Third Party software interfering - Any of these will fall into this category - AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

May 4, 2021 7:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. Consider that this is a brand new MacBook Pro with Silicon M1, installed from a previous MacBook Pro with Intel. No additional software installed after "migration" and I've never had such issues before this one (this is my forth MacBook). I have Antivirus (Eset), VPN (Fortinet and Tunnelblick). No Disk Cleaner, Optimizer, Defrag. I may try to uninstall Antivirus but need VPNs. Thanks for the hints.

May 4, 2021 7:53 AM in response to cosimo50

Are there pre-existing Unresolved Software Issues. They should be resolved prior to upgrading - they may carryover to Big Sur making the system unstable / unusable. Notation: Using Migrated from Old to New may have brought any existing problems from Old to New.

VPNs - required are on these Forums usually for two purposes. Connecting to Banks and if Required by HeadOffice for working off-site. Most Commercial VPNs Purport to keep your Data and Usage Secure and Private - the Jury is truly out on that.

May 5, 2021 3:03 AM in response to cosimo50

It is likely to be the Anti Virus (endpoint security) affecting the update - although this has only occurred for me on the last two updates - booting to Safe Mode will disable this along with other processes during the upgrade. VPN software is unlikely to affect the update if not connected at the time and presumably a split tunnel is used to direct only 'work related' traffic via the VPN with the remainder following the normal route and in any event your 'download completed' normally.

Next time try the update with your AV installed first - if it fails uninstall the AV and try again, if that works then you know it's the AV software for sure. You always have 'safe boot' as fall back.

Stuck on updating MacOs (BigSur) on MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.