Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appstore password settings not working after ios 14.5 uppdate

We have several ipads at our workplace with different ids and after ios 14.5 uppdate we cannot change the appstore password settings anymore in any of them (how often it asks for password and whether to ask password for free apps). I can go to the settings menu but there are no buttons etc to change the settings. Signing out and logging back to the ipad didn't help.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 4, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:18 AM

Thanks for those screenshots. They're very helpful to us to see a bit better what might be happening, Puheterapeutti. From what we are able to see, it looks like the end of each selection box (where you would see the check mark to make your selection) may be cut off. If you adjust your display, we might be able to see that option come up. Try this for us, please:

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Larger Text, then turn on "Larger Accessibility Sizes" and drag the bar all the way to the right. After this, you should be able to view and set these options. Once done, you can go back and set their text size to whatever you need. If that is the case, then simply tapping the option you wish should activate the behavior, even if you cannot see the checkmark at the end of the row.

Let us know if that works for you and we can go from there. Thanks and have a good one.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Puheterapeutti

Thanks for those screenshots. They're very helpful to us to see a bit better what might be happening, Puheterapeutti. From what we are able to see, it looks like the end of each selection box (where you would see the check mark to make your selection) may be cut off. If you adjust your display, we might be able to see that option come up. Try this for us, please:

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Larger Text, then turn on "Larger Accessibility Sizes" and drag the bar all the way to the right. After this, you should be able to view and set these options. Once done, you can go back and set their text size to whatever you need. If that is the case, then simply tapping the option you wish should activate the behavior, even if you cannot see the checkmark at the end of the row.

Let us know if that works for you and we can go from there. Thanks and have a good one.

May 5, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Puheterapeutti

Hi there, Puheterapeutti! Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are looking for some help with your employer-managed iPads. We definitely understand that not being able to change the passwords as desired can be a concern and we'd love to help. We’d like to be transparent and let you know that you might have to work with your IT department, as there could be restrictions in place that prevent make such changes to the device. That said, after the update, were the iPads restarted? That’s a good first step to take to clear up unexpected behavior: Restart your iPad. If that doesn’t help, please reach out to your IT team to check if there is a profile management tool in place preventing those changes.

Please let us know if you have follow-up questions about this issue, or if the issue remains unresolved. Have a great day!

May 9, 2021 10:58 AM in response to Puheterapeutti

Thanks for getting back with us, Puheterapeutti. If the iPad was able to be updated to the most recent iPadOS version, it is designed to work with it. Have you checked to see if there is a Mobile Device Management profile enabled on these iPads? Check in the Settings app. If so, you may need to remove that first before you can make adjustments. There is a special department within Apple that supports that type of configuration. This article explains more: Deployment Reference for iPhone and iPad.

Also, have you tried restoring one of the iPads when you connected it to iTunes? Please let us know these answers and we can investigate further. Take care.

May 11, 2021 5:32 AM in response to Puheterapeutti

There is a bug in the Media & Purchases Settings of all released versions of iPadOS since iPadOS 14.2

The issue that you outline is fully described here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252090219?cid=em_apple_email_question_correctanswer_go_to_the_discussion_en-us&answerId=253977074022#253977074022

At present, there is no known workaround. I strongly recommend that you submit a bug report via the iPad Product Feedback page. Please ensure that you include the model of iPad and the installed version of iPadOS in the body of your bug report.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Until this problem is adequately highlighted to Apple Technical - and the problem is resolved - you’ll not be able to modify these settings on iPad.

I hope this analysis and information proves to be helpful.

May 11, 2021 5:06 AM in response to i_rina

Thank you very much for trying to help me solve the issue.

At least in the settings there doesn't seem to be an option for Mobile device management, just VPN.

In some of the ipads if you try to click on the password settings (that have just text, not any switches etc), it sometimes asks to sign in twice and then says it cannot connect to istore (even though it is signed in to appstore and works there, just requires the password to download new free apps).

But in some of the ipads clicking on the settings texts does nothing.

Tried to restore one of the ipads but it didn't make a difference.

May 11, 2021 10:30 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you so much Leanne_68!

Finally it worked!! :) Though there is still definitely a bug that hopefully apple will fix at some point. Besides the selection boxes not showing in normal text size, when you start altering them, you need to do it a few times to make sure the settings are correct:

I noticed, that in all the ipads when you enlarge the text as you suggested, the selection boxes do appear, but on default they all show that the "require passcode" selection would be off, even though it is on in most of our ipads (in 2/6 of our Ipads I found out now it wasn't asking a password for free purchases, but in 4/6 it was, still the selections all look like as in the picture below).

So you need to first change the selection on in the "require the passcode" to "on" and then "off" again in all the devices and then after that it seems to work so far. Except of course that you always need to enlarge the text to alter the settings (just clicking on the part that shows without the actual selection button showing doesn't seem to change the setting).

But glad I found a way to get around the problem even if with a bit extra work :) Big thanks to everyone who tried to help :)

May 6, 2021 9:53 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi,

thanks fot the reply! Yes, I did try restarting the ipad, but it doesn't seem to help. Have also checked that the fingerprint thing is disabled for appstore/itunes (face id it doesn't even have).

Even though the ipads are used at my workplace, there isn't any IT department for them. They were all purchased 2015 (ipad air 2) but I have been personally the one who unwrapped them, set them up, created apple id's and passwords and have been updating them so nobody else has touched the settings. So they are basically the same as private ipads.

Tried also connecting them to itunes on pc, but there I could only change the password setting for downloading for the pc, not the ipads..

Any more tips I could try? Or is it the model (air 2) that is not working with the newest ios version anymore?

Appstore password settings not working after ios 14.5 uppdate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.