Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to return a new MacBook air with the M1 chip. How do I take it back to factory settings?

I need to return a new MacBook Air with the M1 chip. How do I take it back to factory settings?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 1:28 PM

You need to turn it off completely, not just put it to sleep. Apple Menu->Shut Down

After that press the power button (Touch ID button) and hold it down do not let go of it until you see the Recovery screen.

8 replies

May 4, 2021 11:53 AM in response to Phil0124

This looks like a complicated procedure.

No matter what I do, the machine starts at my start page with my login. holding down the power key does not bypass this step.

I can log in and go to the utilities or to system preferences and then pick the startup disk. Looks like I have to select it and then click the lock to make changes before the restart feature is active.

I need to return a new MacBook air with the M1 chip. How do I take it back to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.