Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found

I suddenly started getting this message on my iPhone XS Max when trying to go to one particular web site after downloading the latest Apple update, 14.5.1. I cleared my cookies, cache and browsing history, but got the same message. I restarted my phone, but still got the same message. I can go to other web sites with no problem. . . just not this particular one. Is it possible that the update is causing the problem? My husband’s iPhone XR hasn’t yet been updated, and it can go to that site with no problem.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 4, 2021 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:24 AM

Hi bethmike112,

Thanks so much for the clarification. Since you mentioned that both devices are connected to a VPN, let us know if you've had a chance to disable the VPN and test again. If the issue persists, this helps to isolate issue further.

If the issue does not occur when VPN is disabled, it indicates an issue caused by the VPN or VPN settings. You'll want to reach out to Norton for further support at that point.

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 7:24 AM in response to bethmike112

Hi bethmike112,

Thanks so much for the clarification. Since you mentioned that both devices are connected to a VPN, let us know if you've had a chance to disable the VPN and test again. If the issue persists, this helps to isolate issue further.

If the issue does not occur when VPN is disabled, it indicates an issue caused by the VPN or VPN settings. You'll want to reach out to Norton for further support at that point.

Take care!

May 5, 2021 10:51 AM in response to bethmike112

Hi bethmike112,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We'd love to help sort this out. Let's get to the bottom of it together.

To start, let us know if your husband's iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi or cellular network as your device. Will it be possible to join a different Wi-Fi network to test again?

Is there any kind of VPN set up on your iPhone? This option can be found under Settings > General > VPN.

If not, please check to see if there's a section under Settings > General called Profiles. If so, this may indicate that a device management profile is installed. Is your iPhone used as part of a work or school environment? It may be necessary to reach out to the IT administrator of your organization if so.

Let us know if this information helps, or if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

May 6, 2021 3:50 PM in response to jcasapple

Thanks for your help!

My husband's phone is on the same wi-fi network. We both have Norton Mobile Security Secure VPN on our phones. Neither phone is used for work or school.

My doctor's office sent me a text this morning with a link to an appointment. When I tapped it on my phone, it wouldn't work and I got the "Safari cannot open the page" error message. I forwarded it to my husband's phone, and the link worked perfectly. After I did that, I was able to tap the link and go to the doctor's website.

Later this morning, I unplugged our modem and restarted my phone. I can click links in all text messages . . . except for USPS.com and Chili's.com. With those two, I get the "Safari cannot open the page" error. I can go to those websites, but the links in their text messages give me the error message. My husband's phone also does the same thing for these two sites.

I have no clue what's causing this . . . very frustrating!

May 9, 2021 8:22 AM in response to jcasapple

Thanks so much for your reply!

I’m able to connect when all VPN connections are disabled, but I certainly don’t want to leave my phone unprotected. This problem only happens with a couple of texts; others work fine. I’ll contact Norton. I tried disabling just my Secure VPN, but all settings have to be off in order to connect.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.