Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Crashes with corebrightnessd and WindowServer on new M1 Mini with 4k monitors

Hello all,

I am running a Mac mini with eh M1 processor that has 2 Samsung 4k monitors attached to it. So far loving it except for one problem. It randomly crashes and throws crash reports for corbrightnessd and WindoServer and it restarts finder with no warning or anything. Meaning that whatever I am doing is gone. I have looked online and seen other report similar issues, a lot of others, but not found a solution. The machine is only a month and a half old. The monitors are both Samsung LU28R55 28" displays. 1 is in the thunderbolt with an Apple Thunderbolt --> HDMI dongle, the other in the HDMI port. Any ideas on a fix? I am starting to get the picture this is a known issue. I am just hoping someone has a good solution given the seeming commonness of this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:29 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 13, 2021 1:48 PM in response to den.thed

Just as an update: I do appreciate the suggestions, but on researching this further I opened a support ticket with Apple Support and am working with their support team to see what is up. 11.4 seems to have fixed the crashing as described above, but may have introduced other issues. Monitors still do not like waking from system sleep. But I will see where this goes and post details here.

Random Crashes with corebrightnessd and WindowServer on new M1 Mini with 4k monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.