Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The “IPassword” app , when pressed, says “ the developer needs to update the app to work with the iOS update. Do I have any options?

My “IPassword “ app , when pressed, says the developer needs to update the app to work with the latest iOS update. Do I have any options?

iPhone 6s

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:39 AM

If you mean iPassword (with an i) as opposed to 1Password(with a one), then no option, you need to wait and see if the developer decides to update it.

There have been several posts regarding iPassword and the fact it does not work with iOS 14.5. No word from the developer however. It may no longer be supported by them.

See here: iPassword App not working on iOS 14.5 - Apple Community

and here: iPassword - iOS 14.5 - The Developer of t… - Apple Community

If you mean 1Password, it has been updated and you can get the update directly from the App Store.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Moose24

If you mean iPassword (with an i) as opposed to 1Password(with a one), then no option, you need to wait and see if the developer decides to update it.

There have been several posts regarding iPassword and the fact it does not work with iOS 14.5. No word from the developer however. It may no longer be supported by them.

See here: iPassword App not working on iOS 14.5 - Apple Community

and here: iPassword - iOS 14.5 - The Developer of t… - Apple Community

If you mean 1Password, it has been updated and you can get the update directly from the App Store.

Jul 3, 2021 4:43 PM in response to jacquelinefromebensburg

jacquelinefromebensburg wrote:

Can Apple provide a concise method to restore if they aren't going to hold the developer to the Apple contract.

The terms of use for selling apps in the App Store say nothing at all about how a developer updates or keeps their software and intellectual property up to date. No given software developer or company assumes any responsibility for any other developer or software company’s products and IP. Even if an OS developer wanted to, they cannot do so. Apple does not own the IP or source code for the apps third party developers distribute through the App Store. So they couldn’t check that even if they agreed with you and wanted to.

Keeping apps up to date with iOS (or iPadOS, or MacOS, or Windows, or Chrome, or Linux, or Android) is entirely up to app developers. They own their own products so only they can possible change their code to adapt to changes in the OS.

You can read what the terms of use are between you and an app developer -> Legal - Licensed Application End User License Agreement - Apple. I’d especially suggest reading sections e and f.

May 17, 2021 10:26 AM in response to jacquelinefromebensburg

jacquelinefromebensburg wrote:

Can Apple provide a concise method to restore if they aren't going to hold the developer to the Apple contract.

What contract? There is no contract. Developers only need to adhere to the Apple Store terms and conditions which says nothing about abandoning an App.

Apple cannot force developers to continue supporting the Apps if they don't want to. Apple has no way of knowing if a developer has abandoned an App. There is no way for Apple to provide restore methods for the millions of abandoned apps in the store. the cost of such an endeavor would be prohibitive. They don't have access to the original code, and would have no way of knowing how the data is stored exactly to offer such a thing.

Apple cannot babysit developers or users. Both are responsible for their own apps and data.

Jul 3, 2021 4:24 PM in response to HonestOpinion

HonestOpinion wrote:

It is so disappointing that the apple developers just don't take ownership to avoid breaking Apps. Their behavior is really not helping the community. It just shows the strong monopoly they have been allowed to expand.

What you are asking is impossible. There’s literally millions of apps in the app store. Apple developers have no way of knowing how those apps are coded, or what features they may or may not be using. There’s no reasonable expectation for Apple to go in and verify millions and millions of apps before releasing an update to see if it will break them. That is up the app developers. Those are their apps they belong to them, not Apple. They and only they can verify their Apps work. It is not Apple’s responsibility.

There is no possible way for Apple to know if a change they make will break an App. Its entirely the responsibility of the app developers to keep track of their Apps. To this effect, Apple provides test versions of their iOS operating systems so developers can test their Apps and update them as required before the update is released.

Apple is not to blame here. Sorry. Blame the developer of the app for abandoning it.

The “IPassword” app , when pressed, says “ the developer needs to update the app to work with the iOS update. Do I have any options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.