Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPassword App not working on iOS 14.5

When will there be an update to the iPassword app for iOS 14.5? I'm unable to get to my passwords.

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 3:42 AM

Hello everyone. This will only help those that have a backup somewhere and know their current vault password.

Download Password Manager

setup vault with same password

create a backup to DropBox (will be blank)

go to DropBox and navigate to

Apps/iPassword+/

you will see here the blank backup you just did.

Find your original backup and replace the blank one with that one.

Open password manager (new one with good trim but same logo)

settings

restore from DropBox (will get success but will be blank first time)

close and repeat the restore again and should now populate

good luck

803 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 3:42 AM in response to abrial6

Hello everyone. This will only help those that have a backup somewhere and know their current vault password.

Download Password Manager

setup vault with same password

create a backup to DropBox (will be blank)

go to DropBox and navigate to

Apps/iPassword+/

you will see here the blank backup you just did.

Find your original backup and replace the blank one with that one.

Open password manager (new one with good trim but same logo)

settings

restore from DropBox (will get success but will be blank first time)

close and repeat the restore again and should now populate

good luck

May 7, 2021 4:41 AM in response to Anne Giansiracusa

I have a full backup on my computer, I surely would miss some recently added or updated passwords, but I could recover most. But I am not sure, if I do a restore, would it restore only the data or the whole configuration (is it an image?) including the previous version of iOS? Would the following procedure work:

1. Backup on another computer
  2. Restore from the older backup and salvaging of data
  3. Restore of the new configuration from the newer backup

What I also find unacceptable is:

• Apple's policy not to allow downgrading, even if they can easily do it (it's a matter of setting some flags, I assume)
  • Apple's policy not to help those who are affected by this (I suggest to ask for a specific downgrade program for those affected by this, to be done by geniuses, so that they keep control of their beloved system), they cannot blame just the developer, as on a Mac I would just reinstall the system and solve the issue.
  • Apple's carelessness in allowing this to happen. They take a 30% cut on all sales, they should put in place a flag for each app signaling the latest compatible version, and possibly a flag about the criticality of data, and use these flags to issue a warning BEFORE doing an update, saying which apps could break. I have several other apps in the same situation, but iPassword is the most critical one.

I think an action should be started on the refusal to allow users to have whatever SW version they want, it's OUR phone and we are the most entitled to know what is more important to us. Also, a temporary downgrade might be sufficient, just to copy all the passwords, done by Geniuses, as described above.

Apr 30, 2021 2:44 PM in response to abrial6

So this is a pretty serious problem.

***Please note this is NOT 1Password***

So, to break this down...

Once you update to 14.5, you cannot open the old version of iPassword. You see a message "iPassword need to be updated - The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS." So, does that mean we wait until they updated it??? Or do you look for a newer version in the App store. So I go the app store.

When you go to the App store, "iPassword" is no longer available to download. What you get is something called "Password Manager - Lock Apps Safe Vault" with a **different** icon. The only reason I know it's the new version is if you look at the screen shots, you can see it's the same.

So you think, great, download the new version right? Wrong. When you attempt to restore your data from the old version of the app using iCloud, you get a rather long message that says:

Your backup file on iCloud not found

If you were using another iPassword (different icon) [Why yes, I was]. We are so sorry to tell you that will we no longer provide it for you to download due to Apple restriction. So your backup file on iCloud can't be used any more and also can not be restored to this iPassword at present, because the two apps use two different APP ID.

[So, what that means to me is the this new app can't use a backup from the old one because they are considered *totally different apps**, not an update. But there is sort of an implication that it will work in the future??] Please go to your old iPassword to back up your files using Wi-Fi or iTunes and then use the same way to restore your backup file here.

[This would probably work except how do you open your old iPassword to do the Wi-Fi backup if it won't open. You need to be able to open the app and initiate a backup for this to work. Can't open it, can't back it up. Also, I understand you can no longer access your apps via iTunes so you can't backup iPassword alone using iTunes]

Afterwards you can use iCloud or Dropbox to sync your data anytime.

What I've done so far...

I actually had an old version of iPassword on an older phone (6s) not running 14.5. I tried to restore from iCloud thinking it would use my new phone's version of the data. It did not. Not sure why but it appears the two phones are considered separate. I checked the data on the restore to the old phone and I know it's not current b/c it's missing some passwords I created a few days ago.

So I connected to iTunes but of course, the apps are no longer visible so I couldn't back it up.

Tried Wi-Fi but the Mac but I get "Safari Can't Connect to the Server".

I tried and successfully backed up the *old* data on my 6s to DropBox. Opened the new app on my Xs and tried to Restore from Drop Box. No love. I get the same stupid message I copied above, i.e., it doesn't recognize the backup from the old version of the app.

In other words fun seekers, we appear to be totally F'd. There is no way to access the old app on an iPhone running 14.5 so we can't even try to back it up. And even in my case, where I have an old version running on an old iPhone, I can back it up to DropBox, but the new version of the app can't read it.

Not sure what to do here. I understand no one can get to the developer.

Should we all get on the App Store and give the new app a really crappy review with the warning that they dropped support for the old version and left us all hanging? I've lost years worth of data, not all of it recoverable because it's not all recoverable passwords.

Any other ideas here?

Apr 30, 2021 8:49 PM in response to iW00

There are several threads about this. Someone has already tried to contact them and said the email was dead. That’s my next move.

However, having been a developer of systems for many years, it is inexcusable that a developer would let an app that contains very valuable data simply go dead. I have 10 years of passwords, pins and much unrecoverable data buried in this app. They could have at least built in a way to transfer the data, even to a readable .txt file would help. It’s sitting in iCloud and no way to get to it. I don’t have much hope they will be very responsive.

May 3, 2021 7:39 AM in response to abrial6

I just got somewhere with this issue. The developer has a current password app called Password Manager - Safe Vault (free version and $5.99). I contracted Apple Care, and they will contact the developer. She suggested everyone with the issue write a review. Here are the steps to do that. Open the App Store on your phone, click on Purchased and search "Password." Click on the icon and scroll down to Write a Review. Below is the message I left.

Title: NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IOS 14.5!!!!!!

After updating to Apple IOS 14.5 when trying to open the app I get a message that says,

"iPassword needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of IOS."

We are unable to contact the developer. The program worked great until it suddenly became unavailable after my phone updated to version 14.5."

Feel free to use this or send your own message, I clicked on 1 star. Good luck, everyone! Apple Care feels that the developer will update the app, but it might take some time. They also have a website, https://note.youdao.com/ but I can't use it to contact them because it's in another language.

May 4, 2021 8:59 PM in response to abrial6

I was able to restore back to iOS 14.4.2 so I could use the app and retype my passwords into a new App.

Unfortunately since IOS 14.5.1 is now released this version is no longer signed by Apple, so restoring to prior IOS version that this app supports is not possible.

Developer’s email is non working and bounces back. So this is something that Apple might need to step in and help due to the serious impact for some folks.

I do have an idea why the app might not be working on iOS 14.5 - could it be as simple as the developer has not updated the App Privacy info?

Anyone from Apple - can you confirm, help.

May 5, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Singh1968

I too had this problem. I spent a day trying to recover my Ipassword data after the 14.5.1 update. Checked with Apple which was a dead end, surfed the internet for solutions and finally came up with one that worked for me. I downloaded the trial version of iMazing software which extracted the iPassword software/data which I was able to install on an old phone that I have.

I did have to go into my purchases in the App store with the old iphone 5 and download iPassword from there as it no longer shows up in the general app store list. Once I had iPassword on my iphone 5 iMazing populated the password data from the backup I made from my iphone XS. I downloaded the iMazing software from their website rather than on CNet or other aggregators of software online, seemed less sketchy to me, plus, there are tutorials on their website. . Anyway, the free version worked for me, I'm thinking of buying it just to support the company for saving me the headache of resetting all of those passwords.

Pretty unacceptable that an update would brick software that's so mission critical without warning. Maybe Apple could write into iOS updates a list of software that would become incompatible before the update is installed? Then users can make sure they have a backup of their data.

Jun 11, 2021 9:04 AM in response to abrial6

Issue resolved but still very frustrating,

Dear fellow iPassword users, I had the same problem and wanted to pull my hair out. Looking back, it is debatable whether storing all your passwords with an app is a good idea - no one can guarantee the app will work forever and will notify you before it stops working. But I finally was able to solve the problem so I want to share with you.

I started using the iPassword app back in 2013. It saved me a lot of time so I would rate it as one of the most useful apps. But the app suddenly stopped working a couple days ago - popped up a message saying the developer needs to update it to work with new iOS version. It turned out I have the iOS auto update turned on on my iPhone so it automatically updated to 14.6. I have close to 100 passwords saved - not just password but user names. I'm sure most of you have the same problem: there are so many online logins, each requires different user name, password and it is impossible to remember them, especially the ones you don't use often.

After searching the solution and reading the complains here, I realized it is not an easy problem but can be solved (not by trying to contact Apple or the developer).

Below is what you need:

1)A different iPhone or iPad (yes, iPad works) with iOS earlier than 14.5

2)Download iMazing software, just use the free version.

Here are the steps:

1)Do a backup of your iPhone with iTune. This may not be needed but it is always safer to do

2)Run iMazing, select Manage Apps on the rideside bar (make sure your iPhone is connected to the computer)

3)Select the device tab and find the iPassword app

4)In the dropdown list next to Uninstall (it is at the bottom right corner of the screen), select Backup App Data

5)Select the location to save the backup file, and select Back up and Extra App Data as Extraction Option

6)Select Next to Extract the data

7)On the other iOS device (iphone or ipad) with older iOS version, open App Store, log into your Apple Account, select the account icon on the top right corner, under Purchased, find the iPassword app you have purchased before and install it. You need to do this as the iPassword app is no longer shown in App Store if you search for it. Of course you can skip this step if you still have iPassword on the other iOS device.

8)Collect the other iOS device to computer, open iMazing and select that device.

9)Select Manage Apps, the fine the iPassword app in the device tab.

10)In the dropdown list next to Uninstall, select Restore App Data

11)Select the backup file you stored in step 6

After restoring the backup, the iOS device will restart and you need to do some initial setup like regular restore from iTune but after that, you will find the iPassword app is working with the data saved from the other device. It takes some time but worked for me - what a relief!

Jun 12, 2021 3:06 PM in response to abrial6

The developer created a new App that is available on the App Store; titled Password Manager '. The apostrophe isn't a typo. The logo matches the old logo used for iPassword and iPassword Pro. It's free and I successfully restored my iPassword from backup via iCloud. If you don't have a backup...well, that's on you.

Cheers!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/password-manager/id998953281

Jun 14, 2021 11:29 PM in response to abrial6

I have the same problem after the iOS 14.6 update. The worse thing is the developer create a new version of iPassword (now call Password manager with different logo) which is exactly the same as the previous one in design and functionality. But the new app say on the pop up note that it can't restore the data from the previous version. This is so irresponsible and doggy !!!!!!!!!

below is the link of the new version of iPassword at app store, I am sure it is developed by the same people:

Jun 15, 2021 5:48 AM in response to abrial6

All:

I did the following using Ning256 suggestion on page 28 of this forum and it worked for me. Very lucky to have an old device laying around (my wife's old phone). Took a bit of time as I am not the most IT savvy, but was able to figure it out. Had to manually transfer the data once able to retrieve, but at least I was able to get it back. Went with Dashlane.

Hope you all have success.

From Ning256:

Jun 11, 2021 9:04 AM in response to abrial6

Issue resolved but still very frustrating,

Dear fellow iPassword users, I had the same problem and wanted to pull my hair out. Looking back, it is debatable whether storing all your passwords with an app is a good idea - no one can guarantee the app will work forever and will notify you before it stops working. But I finally was able to solve the problem so I want to share with you.

I started using the iPassword app back in 2013. It saved me a lot of time so I would rate it as one of the most useful apps. But the app suddenly stopped working a couple days ago - popped up a message saying the developer needs to update it to work with new iOS version. It turned out I have the iOS auto update turned on on my iPhone so it automatically updated to 14.6. I have close to 100 passwords saved - not just password but user names. I'm sure most of you have the same problem: there are so many online logins, each requires different user name, password and it is impossible to remember them, especially the ones you don't use often.

After searching the solution and reading the complains here, I realized it is not an easy problem but can be solved (not by trying to contact Apple or the developer).

Below is what you need:

1)A different iPhone or iPad (yes, iPad works) with iOS earlier than 14.5

2)Download iMazing software, just use the free version.

Here are the steps:

1)Do a backup of your iPhone with iTune. This may not be needed but it is always safer to do

2)Run iMazing, select Manage Apps on the rideside bar (make sure your iPhone is connected to the computer)

3)Select the device tab and find the iPassword app

4)In the dropdown list next to Uninstall (it is at the bottom right corner of the screen), select Backup App Data

5)Select the location to save the backup file, and select Back up and Extra App Data as Extraction Option

6)Select Next to Extract the data

7)On the other iOS device (iphone or ipad) with older iOS version, open App Store, log into your Apple Account, select the account icon on the top right corner, under Purchased, find the iPassword app you have purchased before and install it. You need to do this as the iPassword app is no longer shown in App Store if you search for it. Of course you can skip this step if you still have iPassword on the other iOS device.

8)Collect the other iOS device to computer, open iMazing and select that device.

9)Select Manage Apps, the fine the iPassword app in the device tab.

10)In the dropdown list next to Uninstall, select Restore App Data

11)Select the backup file you stored in step 6

After restoring the backup, the iOS device will restart and you need to do some initial setup like regular restore from iTune but after that, you will find the iPassword app is working with the data saved from the other device. It takes some time but worked for me - what a relief!

Jun 15, 2021 10:18 PM in response to abrial6

I finally resolved the problem and restored all my password on my phone after reading the following post. It's really helpful:

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/06/15/ipassword-app-not-working-or-incompatible-with-ios-14-5/

check the update3 in the article, which is the solution for the issue.

For me I actually had a backup file from the iPassword app before the iOS update, so I only did the steps from 12.) to 15.) in the article. If you don't have any backup file of your previous iPassword you have to perform all the steps in the update3 of the article, I didn't try the steps before 12.) so I am not sure if they work.

The link of the free app to be restored your previous iPassword data is:

(it is the new iPassword app created by same developer.)

**Note: the backup file name from the new app is iPassword.backup, but from the previous iPassword is iPassword_xx_xx.backup something like that. You need to change the name to iPassword.backup when you do the swap.

Hope this help. good luck every one.

Jun 16, 2021 4:32 AM in response to abrial6

I basically did what "CPens" did. Even down to using the exact software (Imazing, and my old phone being a 5)

I think Apple stopped legacy support for 32 bit apps, and the developer just rereleased there app in a 64 bit version as a separate app, instead of updating there 32 bit version.

You need another iphone that is running an OS that is older than this one. The app is compatible with old IOSs, of course your entire phone data is not(so cannot restore using itunes), so the goal is to only transfer over the data from the Ipassword app to iphone 5. I had an iphone 5 which ran iOS 10 lol. Then I downloaded a software called “imazing”. Connect your current phone and export the entire iPassword app to your PC using “imazing”. It needs to be the entire app, and not the folders inside it, there is a way to transfer the whole container; click on the app in the software and click "copy to PC". (make sure you export the entire app - and it is the correct one - first time cus it’s the trial version which has limited file moves). Then connect your old phone to “imazing”. Find the "copy to device" button in the apps section to install the iPassword app on your old phone. Follow the instructions and the app will be installed with all the info on your old phone. I already had Ipassword on my old phone (with less entries), and the system knew to just replace that with the new one.

Here's a really neat bit:

download the new version of the Ipassword app on your new phone from: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/password-manager/id998953281

then within iPassword on your old phone go to settings and back it up using iTunes. Follow the instructions. Then go to this version of the app on your new phone and follow the instructions to restore from iTunes. Now the passwords are on your new phone (and readable) It’s working for me now.

Tho now I am way more cautious about using this app! im considering migrating my info somewhere else

iPassword App not working on iOS 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.