Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my new Mac Pro's display to its factory settings?

I changes the display settings on my new Mac Pro display trying to learn how to use the controls. My display is now almost unreadable and I can't figure out how to get back to the factory settings. Anybody suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 5, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 8:57 AM

Safe Mode.

Hold shift at startup. A parade of unusual things happens.

• Your Mac loads just enough of the kernel to do a disk check. Then it proceeds to do a disk check. This can take an extra about five minutes.

• Your Mac adds ONLY a minimal set of Apple-Only extensions, Not including graphics acceleration extensions. Screen updates will therefore be wonky and slow, and the screen may re-draw multiple times, but it ultimately should be accurate.

• your userid and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. So have them handy.

• Your Mac assumes defaults for as many settings as possible. This is the key for re-setting the screen, but there is a little more to it: Resolution is likely to be lower and settings ordinary. Use this as a starting point to customize settings to your liking. Any changes you make in Safe Mode will "stick" in regular mode after you restart.

• after restart in normal mode, your Mac will take slightly longer to start up [once] because it rebuilds some system caches.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 8:57 AM in response to edfromva

Safe Mode.

Hold shift at startup. A parade of unusual things happens.

• Your Mac loads just enough of the kernel to do a disk check. Then it proceeds to do a disk check. This can take an extra about five minutes.

• Your Mac adds ONLY a minimal set of Apple-Only extensions, Not including graphics acceleration extensions. Screen updates will therefore be wonky and slow, and the screen may re-draw multiple times, but it ultimately should be accurate.

• your userid and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. So have them handy.

• Your Mac assumes defaults for as many settings as possible. This is the key for re-setting the screen, but there is a little more to it: Resolution is likely to be lower and settings ordinary. Use this as a starting point to customize settings to your liking. Any changes you make in Safe Mode will "stick" in regular mode after you restart.

• after restart in normal mode, your Mac will take slightly longer to start up [once] because it rebuilds some system caches.

How do I restore my new Mac Pro's display to its factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.