Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro - horizontal lines blinking after 20 to 30 minutes of use

Anybody familiar with a solution here -

1) After about 30 minutes of use, faint grey horizontal lines appear at top of screen

2) After another 20 minutes or so, the lines continue downward filling about a forth of the screen

3) after another 15 minutes or so, movement of the pointer creates ghosting (trails)

4) I also noticed that the lines become darker when I depress the mouse pad.

5) the artifacts do NOT appear on screen captures; Here is a photograph of the screen. (sorry image is upside down). I have a movie as well, but cant upload it.

7 ). It appears to be heat related since the artifacts go away if I shutdown for about 20 mins or so.

8) I read a related post from two years talking about a display assembly. Can someone explain that to me?

HELP!!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 5, 2021 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 8:45 PM

qblitz001 Said:

"2017 MacBook Pro - horizontal lines blinking after 20 to 30 minutes of use Anybody familiar with a solution here -"

-------

Get this Serviced:

Your Screen is failing. This needs to be fixed. My 2017 MBP had this issue, and its screen was replaced 11 times. So, this is known issue of that year's MBPs, and has been reported plenty of times on these forums.

Use Send-In Service:

Contact Apple Support:

Apple Send-In Service

At the moment, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many Apple Stores are still closed at the moment. So, Send-In Service may be the only available option for getting this serviced. So, have Apple take this in through Send-In Service. They will send you a box; you would ship it out to Apple; their engineers would look at it; and the would send it back to you.

OR...

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 8:45 PM in response to qblitz001

qblitz001 Said:

"2017 MacBook Pro - horizontal lines blinking after 20 to 30 minutes of use Anybody familiar with a solution here -"

-------

Get this Serviced:

Your Screen is failing. This needs to be fixed. My 2017 MBP had this issue, and its screen was replaced 11 times. So, this is known issue of that year's MBPs, and has been reported plenty of times on these forums.

Use Send-In Service:

Contact Apple Support:

Apple Send-In Service

At the moment, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many Apple Stores are still closed at the moment. So, Send-In Service may be the only available option for getting this serviced. So, have Apple take this in through Send-In Service. They will send you a box; you would ship it out to Apple; their engineers would look at it; and the would send it back to you.

OR...

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

May 10, 2021 9:47 AM in response to TheLittles

The Apple representative said that Apple does not recognize the blinking horizontal lines as a known problem. The only known problem they recognize is one with a backlight issue. Is there a reference number or bulletin of which you can refer to me? Or did you spring for the >$500 yourself? And if Apple won't stand by their products, why should I?

May 10, 2021 6:47 PM in response to qblitz001

qblitz001 Said:

"Is there a reference number or bulletin of which you can refer to me? Or did you spring for the >>$500 yourself? And if Apple won’t stand by their products, what should I?

———-

Thank you for the follow up reply.

About these Forums:

First and foremost, note that we are not Apple here in these forums. We are just everyday Apple users like yourself. So, Apple has the call in what is serviced, and what is not.

Googling This:

As for searching for examples of what I speak of, use this Google Search Queue. It searches these forums (discusions.appe.com) using keywords, given in the case you mention: horizontal lines blinking macbook pro 2017 site:discussions.apple.com

2017 MacBook Pro - horizontal lines blinking after 20 to 30 minutes of use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.