Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so hard to make just a simple customization as changing login screen wallpaper ?

It's hard to make just a beloved image as login screen wallpaper. Simply I just want to browse image and save as wallpaper for both desktop and login screen. Or just for one of them.

Why do I need to do all steps in below:

1. Reboot system in recovery mode by holding command + r on startup.
  2. Open Terminal in recovery mode and enter the command “csrutil disable”.
  3. Reboot the system and login as an administrator.
  4. Open Terminal and enter the command (see note below) “sudo mount -t apfs -wu /dev/disk1s5/Volumes”.
  5. Enter the following command: “sudo mount -wu /; killall Finder”.
  6. Navigate to Computer -> Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Desktop Pictures.
  7. Rename the Catalina.heic file to Catalinaold.heic or a different unique file name.
  8. Move the desired login screen image into the Desktop Pictures folder.
  9. Rename the new file to Catalina.heic and then log out of the account to confirm changes.

I do not understand that such a difficult and so many steps have to be taken for such a simple process. For an ordinary Mac user, these steps are very meaningless and not practical. Is there a simple way to do this? or any application that taking this steps for you?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2021 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 6:52 AM

tevfikaktas wrote:

I didn't say I bought this Mac for wallpaper customization.

I didn't say I would sell it because I couldn't customize it.

Also, I did not say either that I was not satisfied with the security, material quality, screen quality. It's not a cheap device anyway. 

I don't have to see same login screen wallpaper all the time just because there is no security issues. These are personal devices with premium quality and premium price.

Please just give me a logical answer about why we simply cannot change the login screen wallpaper in macOS, which is known for being such a practical and user-friendly OS.

There are no user preferences in the UI to easily make this change...

you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2021 6:52 AM in response to tevfikaktas

tevfikaktas wrote:

Also, I did not say either that I was not satisfied with the security, material quality, screen quality. It's not a cheap device anyway. 

I don't have to see same login screen wallpaper all the time just because there is no security issues. These are personal devices with premium quality and premium price.

Please just give me a logical answer about why we simply cannot change the login screen wallpaper in macOS, which is known for being such a practical and user-friendly OS.

There are no user preferences in the UI to easily make this change...

you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

May 6, 2021 6:15 AM in response to tevfikaktas

tevfikaktas wrote:

Is there a simple way to do this?

From what I can tell, you have posted the simplest-case scenario. If you were using Big Sur, or even FileVault, it would be impossible.

The fact is that nobody buys computers based on the capability to customize the login screen. People vote with their wallets and they vote from pure, unadulterated fear.

I have an experiment for you. Do a couple of Google searches. See how many stories you can find in popular media about:

1) Apple security issues

2) Apple operating system customization issues

Specifically, I'm not talking about "how to" articles. I'm talking about stories that are trying to influence purchase decisions or using fear for click-bait. Those are the stores that drive Apple's design decisions.

If you disagree, and sincerely feel that Mac sales are being harmed by the inability to customize the login screen, please submit your feedback directly to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 6, 2021 6:43 AM in response to etresoft

Why is it so hard to make just a simple customization as changing login screen wallpaper ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.