Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformatting Macintosh HD

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding how to reformat your Macintosh HD drive in order to download and select third-party dynamic wallpapers. Every time I download a dynamic wallpaper from Dynamic Wallpaper Club, I'm unable to save the picture into the Desktop Pictures folder inside of the Macintosh HD drive.

I would like to know what I can do to take away the encryption and be able to drop files into this drive.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 8:14 AM

lat1na wrote:

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding how to reformat your Macintosh HD drive in order to download and select third-party dynamic wallpapers. Every time I download a dynamic wallpaper from Dynamic Wallpaper Club, I'm unable to save the picture into the Desktop Pictures folder inside of the Macintosh HD drive.

I would like to know what I can do to take away the encryption and be able to drop files into this drive.

Thank you!

You can not r/w to the SSV (Signed System Volume) Macintosh HD...

introduced macOS Catalina ref: About the read-only system volume - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

see—

Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac - Apple ...

Customize the desktop picture on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 8:14 AM in response to lat1na

lat1na wrote:

Hello everyone.

Thank you!

You can not r/w to the SSV (Signed System Volume) Macintosh HD...

introduced macOS Catalina ref: About the read-only system volume - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

see—

Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac - Apple ...

Customize the desktop picture on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2022 9:15 AM in response to lat1na

As leroydouglas correctly explained, you can't mess with the contents of some parts of the system drive.

But you CAN and should place your dynamic desktop files in the correct location, and they work!

/Library/Desktop Pictures

(and NOT /System/Library/Desktop Pictures)

Note: you may have to create the Desktop Pictures folder inside /Library, if it does not exist already; if so, you will be asked to type your password or use touch id to authorize it. From then on, just put the desired desktop pictures in this folder, and they will appear in System Preferences.

Reformatting Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.