Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking the best care of my MacBook Pro battery

Hi - I wonder, while I'm using my computer, should I plug it up when I'm home even though the battery is fully charged? I've heard yes and I've hear no. Who know what's the truth of the matter. I have anew laptop and am trying to take the best care of it.

Posted on May 6, 2021 8:07 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2021 8:28 AM in response to TheShyna

TheShyna wrote:

Hi - I wonder, while I'm using my computer, should I plug it up when I'm home even though the battery is fully charged? I've heard yes and I've hear no. Who know what's the truth of the matter. I have anew laptop and am trying to take the best care of it.

The best policy is if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery.

In this way you reduce the cycle count.

Your battery will never over charge.

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

May 6, 2021 8:44 AM in response to TheShyna

You have a "smart battery." You cannot overcharge it.

One thing to avoid: calibration. Many third-party battery info sites will blindly recommend that. Apple withdrew its recommendation for calibration when they changed to "built-in" notebook batteries about 2009. That is alluded to in the article Limnos linked for you.

Having "been there; done that," I find the best thing you can do is to not obsess over your battery. The batteries that seem to give the longest service life are the ones that get used. Many that die too young were seldom used.

I try to run my 2012 MBP on battery at least once a week. I prefer to wait until the charge level is under 50 percent to connect the charger but that is not a hard rule. Its battery is now over eight years old and still has 85% of its original capacity.

In that same article, comments about operating temperature seem to focus on ambient temperature but can include the computer's internal temps. People can overheat a notebook computer in a room that is at perfect ambient temps and that can negatively affect the battery.

This Apple support document discusses how to avoid overheating:

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Taking the best care of my MacBook Pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.