Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mackbook Pro Microphone does not work when Mac ic closed.

I have a Brand New 2020 Macbook Pro M1. I like to use this Mac closed and connect to an HDMI Monitor. For some reason, the Microphone does not work when Mac is closed. I called Apple and they told me to buy an external microphone (which I did) to use dictation and zoom meetings with the MacBook closed. This solution does not work consistently for some reason the headphones that I have wired into the Mac stop recording my voice even though when I open up the System Preferences panel for audio it shows that it's hearing me just fine.

This is a very strange problem that I did not have on my 2011 MacBook Air which I used in clamshell mode to dictate all the time.

Has anyone found a solution for this issue because I would be very grateful to know what it is? This may be for security and for sensitive info but I should have a way to be able to enable the microphone to work when I want it to, not when the computer forces me to.

If you have the same issue please comment below and let's see if we can get Apple to answer why this is happening or even better change it so that we have control over the microphone.

Posted on May 7, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 8:43 PM

Hi DiamondXP,

The hardware microphone disconnect is a security feature in your M1 MacBook Pro. It is also present in Mac notebooks that have the T2 Security Chip (2018 - 2020).

Whenever you close the lid, the microphone is disconnected at the hardware level. No software - not even macOS itself - can access the microphone while the lid is closed. Apple's intention is probably to stop hackers and eavesdroppers, but unfortunately this means you'll need to use an external microphone while the lid is closed.

EDIT: Apple mentioned this in their Platform Security document: Hardware microphone disconnect - Apple Support

EDIT 2: Not sure what's happening with the external microphone. I'd be very surprised if it was affected by the internal hardware microphone disconnect.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 8:43 PM in response to DiamondXP

Hi DiamondXP,

The hardware microphone disconnect is a security feature in your M1 MacBook Pro. It is also present in Mac notebooks that have the T2 Security Chip (2018 - 2020).

Whenever you close the lid, the microphone is disconnected at the hardware level. No software - not even macOS itself - can access the microphone while the lid is closed. Apple's intention is probably to stop hackers and eavesdroppers, but unfortunately this means you'll need to use an external microphone while the lid is closed.

EDIT: Apple mentioned this in their Platform Security document: Hardware microphone disconnect - Apple Support

EDIT 2: Not sure what's happening with the external microphone. I'd be very surprised if it was affected by the internal hardware microphone disconnect.

Mackbook Pro Microphone does not work when Mac ic closed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.