Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit the number of columns in a spread sheet

Hello all,

I have a spread sheet that uses only up to column "L". Is there a way to turn off/remove all the excess columns? I understand that you can hide columns but I'm trying to limit the number of columns in the spread sheet. I seem to always be scrolling over past "L" and into part of the spread sheet I don't use.

Also, I have an older (5 years or so) spread sheet that is an Open Office spread sheet that I would like to convert to Numbers but have not found a way to do so. I know that Numbers will import Excel but have yet to find a way to convert Open Office. Thanks

Posted on May 8, 2021 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 11:38 AM

To remove the extra columns:

• Click any cell to activate the table and show the column and row reference tabs.
  • Click the tab for the leftmost column that you want to remove to select that column.
  • Scroll right to the last column of the table.
  • Press shift and click the tab for the last column to add it and all coumns between it and the column previously selected.
  • Place the pointer toward the right end of one of the selected tabs, then click on the small v that appears, and choose Delete selected columns.
  • Scroll left until you can see the table again.

There is no way to prevent the user from adding columns to (or rows) to the table except by locking the table. (Arrange menu>Lock), but this action will prevent moving the table and will prvent editing or adding to the contents of the table. It does not prevent operation of any formulas previously entered, so can be useful for tables containing only fixed values and/or formulas.

Regarding the files now on OpenOffice:

You should be able to export these from OpenOffice Calc to MS Excel file format (,xlsx) then open the Excel file into Numbers. This involves two translations of the document, one done by OpenOffice, the second done by Numbers. Any features not supported be the applications at both ends of each translation will be lost.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 11:38 AM in response to waditz

To remove the extra columns:

• Click any cell to activate the table and show the column and row reference tabs.
  • Click the tab for the leftmost column that you want to remove to select that column.
  • Scroll right to the last column of the table.
  • Press shift and click the tab for the last column to add it and all coumns between it and the column previously selected.
  • Place the pointer toward the right end of one of the selected tabs, then click on the small v that appears, and choose Delete selected columns.
  • Scroll left until you can see the table again.

There is no way to prevent the user from adding columns to (or rows) to the table except by locking the table. (Arrange menu>Lock), but this action will prevent moving the table and will prvent editing or adding to the contents of the table. It does not prevent operation of any formulas previously entered, so can be useful for tables containing only fixed values and/or formulas.

Regarding the files now on OpenOffice:

You should be able to export these from OpenOffice Calc to MS Excel file format (,xlsx) then open the Excel file into Numbers. This involves two translations of the document, one done by OpenOffice, the second done by Numbers. Any features not supported be the applications at both ends of each translation will be lost.

Regards,

Barry

May 9, 2021 5:34 AM in response to Barry

Barry, thank you.

Your instructions regarding the open office file covert worked great.

I think I didn't explain my question regarding limiting the number of columns in a spread sheet.

I only want to see columns A thru L. My issue is when working in the spread sheet many time in error I will find myself over into columns AA or even higher in error. I'm trying limit the spread sheet to only contain columns A B C D E F G H I J K and L and no other columns visible pass L. I there a way to do that?

Limit the number of columns in a spread sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.