Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why on my new surface laptop is my iCloud app different?

It no longer has the option to "Download new photos and videos to my PC" option. My old laptop had all my iPhone photos automatically sent to the photo directory on the laptop, it was a great option

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 8, 2021 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 3:34 PM

See the instructions for the latest version of iCloud Photos for Windows in Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support including the following:

Download your photos and videos from iCloud Photos

In iCloud for Windows 11.1 or later

New photos and videos you add to iCloud Photos are shown on your PC automatically. To download the file from iCloud when you view it, double-click its thumbnail. You can also keep your photos downloaded on your PC with these steps: 

1. Open File Explorer.
  2. In the Navigation pane, click iCloud Photos. 
  3. Select the images you want to keep on your PC.
  4. Right-click the selection and choose "Always keep on this device."

If you change a photo or video on another device or on iCloud.com, it updates automatically on your PC. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 3:34 PM in response to jongig

See the instructions for the latest version of iCloud Photos for Windows in Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support including the following:

Download your photos and videos from iCloud Photos

In iCloud for Windows 11.1 or later

New photos and videos you add to iCloud Photos are shown on your PC automatically. To download the file from iCloud when you view it, double-click its thumbnail. You can also keep your photos downloaded on your PC with these steps: 

1. Open File Explorer.
  2. In the Navigation pane, click iCloud Photos. 
  3. Select the images you want to keep on your PC.
  4. Right-click the selection and choose "Always keep on this device."

If you change a photo or video on another device or on iCloud.com, it updates automatically on your PC. 

May 9, 2021 3:23 AM in response to FoxFifth

It's still not working the same as it did. The old way worked flawlessly, I take a picture and the picture is in my Windows photo app/gallery like magic and it's nicely grouped by date, easy plus functional. Now I somehow have to search for pictures all the time?

It's just not making sense, the old iCloud app made sense.

I appreciate the help, it's the same old problem that Apple doesn't like Windows.

Why on my new surface laptop is my iCloud app different?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.