Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Tripp•Lite power backup software compatible with an iMac?

Posted on May 8, 2021 4:03 PM

4 replies

May 8, 2021 4:27 PM in response to Jack-19

Thank you. Please, if you can, comment on the following. But the real reason I use a UPS or Tripp•Lite battery backup --- is for the protection of my iMac from a corrupted power supply. Let me explain. Currently I have a lease for an office in a fairly new building in Berkeley. But my “dedicated” 20 AMP circuit where I draw power for the computer has somehow been "shared" with another tenant. That is, the building's wiring was probably screwed up during construction. And the wiring probably deviates from the building plan submitted to the City for their initial building permit 20 years ago. My APC unit burned through an $85 battery before the building sort of came clean on the problem. And this same problem actually happened in a new high rise in the San Francisco Financial District 20 years ago. I was a sub-tenant of a prestigious specialty law firm. It turned out their server unit circuit had me sharing service with their IT and server room. They were really grateful that my APC unit noticed the problem. They had an electrician in to correct the problem with in a matter of a few hours! The current landlord is a little flakey when it comes to such details. I'm more interested in protecting the CPU of my iMac than saving a few minutes of data input. Any comment?

May 8, 2021 6:15 PM in response to jcadams1987

The included software still does not matter because your Mac will add the device to your System Preferences and you can control it within that Pane. I do not have one currently, but when I did, I believe it showed in the Energy Saver pane and I was able to choose options such as how long to keep it running, automatically quitting apps, etc.

And, when I had one, the included software was for Windows only - did not work on a Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.