Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VLC Player App Erase/Re-Install Repeatedly Fails to Fix Critical Crash Bug Problem for Me

I spent the better half of yesterday trying to troubleshoot my crashed VLC Player software on my Mac mini i7 2018 model (Mac OS Big Sur 11.31.1) with no success. After only using the media player hassle-free for about 45 minutes, a few alterations to the program preferences suddenly crashed the software and I was not able to reopen it successfully again without formatting it from my system and deleting all associated files using a mac OS cleaner app. I re-downloaded and successfully launched VLC Player once after that but in even less time it crashed because of a critical bug again. I was not able to find any way to remedy this and the device has been unfortunately purged from my device. I spent forever trying to find a solution online and on the VideoLAN product and support site but none of the forums seemed to offer a solution I could use (or knew how to). I do have logs of at least a few of the crash reports and I can share them here if needed. Can someone help me fix this please?!

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 8, 2021 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 11:28 PM

> deleting all associated files using a mac OS cleaner app

3rd party "cleaners" make further troubleshooting difficult because others might have no clue what those apps have done. FWIW the latest VLC works OK in light use in my Mac mini 2018 in macOS 11.3.1. Try if it runs on another user account.

Similar questions

1 reply

VLC Player App Erase/Re-Install Repeatedly Fails to Fix Critical Crash Bug Problem for Me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.