Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 Imac 27" Running macOS Catalina constantly looks for networks.

How can I stop this occurring. I don't need to find any new networks - I already have all the networks I need set up. I have searched Apple support and the Communities and tried several "solutions", but none of them worked for me. Turning off "Show network status in menu bar" and turning it back on is just pointless! It is very frustrating.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 8, 2021 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 12:10 PM

It only looks when you are clicking on the menu bar WiFi icon. It does not know you do not want to look for a different network, so it updates the drop down menu. For all it knows, you have rebooted your WiFi routers, and are waiting for it to reappear.

6 replies

May 12, 2021 4:58 PM in response to JohnnyF50

You have not drank the Apple Kool-Aid. As few options as possible. The WiFi interface works for the most users. It is only visible when you click on it. Adding a bunch of options to say do not scan, or do not show, etc... just adds complexity for something that is looked at for a few seconds every once in a while.

What you can do is make sure your WiFi access point is at the top of the

System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi (interface in the left column) -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi -> Preferred Networks:

Find your WiFi interface, and drag it to the top of the list.

macOS always walks down the Preferred Networks list in the order shown to find a connection. If your desired network is not at the top of the list, it will delay how fast your Mac re-establishes network connections after waking from sleep, or rebooting.

You can use the [-] button to remove any names from the list, so they will not be checked when waking from sleep or rebooting.

This will NOT change how the menu bar WiFi icon behaves, but it does affect how fast your Mac gets back on your network after waking from sleep or rebooting.

May 12, 2021 8:21 PM in response to BobHarris

You are right. I have not drank the Apple Kool-aid. Nor am I a fan of MS. But needs require a desktop machine. I try to look at things objectively. MacOS has millions of lines of code. It would take about 10 to stop it checking and/or listing every network in range, in favour of named networks only. It would also be more secure. If I was designing an OS, I wouldn't be looking for it to be checking every network in range by default. Quite the opposite, in fact. As I said - it is clumsy, clunky, annoying and unnecessary.

Late 2013 Imac 27" Running macOS Catalina constantly looks for networks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.