Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes changing media type to TV Programmes

I have some TV shows in MP4 format (ripped from DVDs I own). If I import them to iTunes it puts them into the Films/Home Video section.

If I edit them to be of type “TV Programmes” that works fine, they move to TV Programmes. However, if I copy those files to another computer and import them into iTunes, they go back into Home Videos.

That type is obviously not be changed inside the .mp4. It’s must be a iTunes’ own database, not taken from the tags inside the video. The same is not true of other metadata, like title, episode, genre. If I edit those the edit is obviously being updated inside the mp4, because if I move the mp4 to a new computer and import them, the other tags are remembered, it’s just the media type that is forgotten.

Is there a way of embedding the media type into the mp4? Perhaps a 3rd party utility? Or is iTunes doomed to always put it back into Home Videos?

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 9, 2021 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 4:35 AM

Ratbatty wrote:

Is there a way of embedding the media type into the mp4?

No. It needs to be updated after import as it is a database only property, like rating, date added, play count, etc.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

iTunes changing media type to TV Programmes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.