Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some of my phone contacts are listed without name after removing gmail account

Some of my phone contacts do not have a name associated with them, This happened after I removed gmail from settings and tried to set up through apple email app. I have the new iPhone 12 pro max and activated it 2 weeks ago. How do I restore those names to the phone numbers. Thanks.

Rick

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 9, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 3:27 PM

I guess those particular contacts are in your Google account rather than in iCloud. That's fine — in fact, it makes a lot of sense when you use Gmail for your email.

You've written:

This happened after I removed gmail from settings and tried to set up through apple email app.

Given the context, I'm wondering if you actually mean you tried to set it up through the Gmail app. If so, I believe you still need to have your Google account added in Settings > Contacts > Accounts in order for the contacts to be available to other apps like the Phone app.

So as to not receive all your emails twice (in the Apple Mail app as well as the Gmail app) you can toggle off the Mail switch when adding the Google account:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 3:27 PM in response to RickinPhx

I guess those particular contacts are in your Google account rather than in iCloud. That's fine — in fact, it makes a lot of sense when you use Gmail for your email.

You've written:

This happened after I removed gmail from settings and tried to set up through apple email app.

Given the context, I'm wondering if you actually mean you tried to set it up through the Gmail app. If so, I believe you still need to have your Google account added in Settings > Contacts > Accounts in order for the contacts to be available to other apps like the Phone app.

So as to not receive all your emails twice (in the Apple Mail app as well as the Gmail app) you can toggle off the Mail switch when adding the Google account:

Some of my phone contacts are listed without name after removing gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.