Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 suitable for free flexgate repair?

Hi there, I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch 2 thunderbolt 3 ports without Touch Bar, recently it started to show backlight and sometimes if I rotate the screen to different angles, the display will disappear but you can tell it is still working, if I try different angles the display may come back. Please see the screenshot. I checked from Apple official website in the flexgate page and input my serial number, it passed and said bring for repair or refund. But local apple shop said this is a 2017 version not a 2016 version so not within this program. My idea is since my serial number passed apple website checking, and it does have the backlight issue, so it should be qualified for this program? can anyone help answer this question? Thank you for your help!

Posted on May 9, 2021 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:45 PM

Just looked at the webpage for the backlight repair program and there is not serial number confirmation for this particular issue as you mentioned in your initial post.

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

Since that is the case you are highly unlikely to get Apple to cover the repair for free even though it suffers from the exact same issue as the 13" MBPro 2016 model. I've seen 2017-2020 models affected by the issue as well as 15" models. I believe there are already pending lawsuits about this issue so unless Apple is forced to cover these other models I don't see Apple voluntarily covering any repair.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Gale_NZ

Just looked at the webpage for the backlight repair program and there is not serial number confirmation for this particular issue as you mentioned in your initial post.

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

Since that is the case you are highly unlikely to get Apple to cover the repair for free even though it suffers from the exact same issue as the 13" MBPro 2016 model. I've seen 2017-2020 models affected by the issue as well as 15" models. I believe there are already pending lawsuits about this issue so unless Apple is forced to cover these other models I don't see Apple voluntarily covering any repair.

May 10, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Gale_NZ

Did the local Apple shop actually attempt to place an order for the part under the free repair program?

Did you actually show the technician that the Apple website confirms your laptop is covered? If there is a discrepancy between the consumer part of the Apple website and the service portal used by the technician, then the technician or the manager of the shop should be contacting Apple on your behalf to straighten out the issue. If they are unable to cover the repair after escalating the issue to Apple, then you should contact Apple directly to report the issue in order to receive a repair exception. If contacting Apple online tech support doesn't work, then contact Apple corporate by phone:

https://www.apple.com/contact/

If you still have an issue, make sure to take a screenshot of the Apple webpage showing your system is covered for the backlight repair program. Check your local consumer protection laws.

May 10, 2021 1:04 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your quick reply, I called Apple service late yesterday and they checked the serial number said this is a 2017 MacBook , not eligible for the repair program, and the service engineer said any serial number could pass the website check as it doesn’t check the model only record the model. So the answer is no. But if look at the screenshot, it is a backlight issue, I don’t know if Apple could cover this or not. Warranty is expired. But my other MacBook 2012 still working very good, this 2017 one worked super fast but only 3 years it have the display issue, this is really disappointing.

thanks for your reply and help again.

May 25, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Gale_NZ

I am suffering with the same problem. Unfortunately it is more severe than yours. My Macpro 2017 display is dark when I open in big angle. I tried to ask local support and has been informed that it would cost aroun;d 5-600$ to fix :(( just known that this error happen with alot of mac pro since 2016 but only 2016 version is eligible for repair program. I think Apple should consider this seriously. Otherswise users may not buy Mac pro anymore. It is unreasonable for paying more than 2500$ then suffer with hardware error like this.

Is my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 suitable for free flexgate repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.