Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code during diagnosis

When using Apple's diagnosis tool ("D" at startup) I get error "apple.com/support -2002D" on a Macbook Pro 15" 2012 (A1398). What does that mean?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 6:30 PM

If that is the complete error message, then @Flannelist is correct that it is a network issue. Try connecting the laptop directly to your router for a faster more reliable connection that bypasses any possible WiFi issues which are hard to troubleshoot. You can also try a PRAM Reset as well since sometimes a Mac will retain an incorrect link in NVRAM after a failed network boot.

If you still have this error, then try power cycling your router making sure to wait five minutes for the router to finish booting.

If the error includes something like "unable to find EFI/Support.efi", then this is a different error caused by Apple when macOS updated the system firmware and which Apple decided to never fix since the firmware can no longer locate the boot file on the Apple server.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 6:30 PM in response to UPO-DK

If that is the complete error message, then @Flannelist is correct that it is a network issue. Try connecting the laptop directly to your router for a faster more reliable connection that bypasses any possible WiFi issues which are hard to troubleshoot. You can also try a PRAM Reset as well since sometimes a Mac will retain an incorrect link in NVRAM after a failed network boot.

If you still have this error, then try power cycling your router making sure to wait five minutes for the router to finish booting.

If the error includes something like "unable to find EFI/Support.efi", then this is a different error caused by Apple when macOS updated the system firmware and which Apple decided to never fix since the firmware can no longer locate the boot file on the Apple server.

May 11, 2021 7:34 AM in response to UPO-DK

What issue are you trying to run diagnostics for? If you're getting this error, it's trying to connect to internet based diagnostics as the local diagnostics information can't be reached (or doesn't exist). And it can't load this. Many times, it gives errors because it's timing out, the network isn't fast enough to load the image. I would reset NVRAM/PRAM https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063. And try again, use a wired network if you are able, rather than wifi.

May 14, 2021 2:00 AM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

thanks for your support. The error actually did include the information about "EFI/Support.efi". I also tried the PRAM Reset you suggested but that did not change anything. As the Macbook Pro works well in daily use, I won't follow-up on the diagnostics issue any more but thanks again for helping out.

error code during diagnosis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.