Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally deleted downloads folder

Ive somehow deleted my downloads folder while using the daisydisk application to free up space, I'm not sure how as I only deleted dropbox files that had taken up loads of space even after uninstalling dropbox.

Ive tried using Go in finder to access it but it comes up with the message "The operation can’t be completed because the item can’t be found."

Ive also tried restarting and then downloading new files but they just go straight to the desktop instead. There's no official download folder found through a spotlight search either.

Im not even that fussed about deleting the actual contents of the folder although I did have some files I wanted to keep, but I just want to have a downloads folder again, what can I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:25 PM

I appreciate the value of having external drives to hold back ups, I just cannot afford to lose £40 out of my budget at the moment for a drive that will only be useful maybe a few times a year at most, as any particularly important files I have are backed up in icloud. I only have a MacBook in the first place as it was a gift.

In regards to blaming Dropbox, I realise that I am the one that pressed delete on a file titled 'dropbox', what I meant was that when I installed Dropbox the other week it specifically requested access to my downloads folder to backup as it wasn't in my icloud, and that when doing this, unbeknownst to me, it must have moved my downloads folder into the dropbox folder. I then uninstalled Dropbox the other day as I don't use it and when clearing space with daisydisk I didn't know that my whole downloads folder would still be nested somewhere in the Dropbox folder instead of being in its usual location. But because I had uninstalled it there was no warning of course, so I just assumed it would be fine to delete as I didn't particularly need any of the files it had backed up.

I checked my dropbox account like you suggested and it did have a backup of the files in my downloads from when I uninstalled it so I recovered a couple of files I wanted, however this didnt fix my issue of missing the downloads directory that automatically contains all downloaded items. I also tried out the data recovery software from MiniTools but I still couldn't find the deleted folder.

After this I did some more digging and found out how to use the Terminal to check for the downloads directory and delete the alias and then create a replacement folder (using the command "mkdir ~/Downloads" in case anyone is reading this in the future) which solved my problem and I now have a functioning downloads folder again. Thanks for your suggestions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 2:25 PM in response to steve626

I appreciate the value of having external drives to hold back ups, I just cannot afford to lose £40 out of my budget at the moment for a drive that will only be useful maybe a few times a year at most, as any particularly important files I have are backed up in icloud. I only have a MacBook in the first place as it was a gift.

In regards to blaming Dropbox, I realise that I am the one that pressed delete on a file titled 'dropbox', what I meant was that when I installed Dropbox the other week it specifically requested access to my downloads folder to backup as it wasn't in my icloud, and that when doing this, unbeknownst to me, it must have moved my downloads folder into the dropbox folder. I then uninstalled Dropbox the other day as I don't use it and when clearing space with daisydisk I didn't know that my whole downloads folder would still be nested somewhere in the Dropbox folder instead of being in its usual location. But because I had uninstalled it there was no warning of course, so I just assumed it would be fine to delete as I didn't particularly need any of the files it had backed up.

I checked my dropbox account like you suggested and it did have a backup of the files in my downloads from when I uninstalled it so I recovered a couple of files I wanted, however this didnt fix my issue of missing the downloads directory that automatically contains all downloaded items. I also tried out the data recovery software from MiniTools but I still couldn't find the deleted folder.

After this I did some more digging and found out how to use the Terminal to check for the downloads directory and delete the alias and then create a replacement folder (using the command "mkdir ~/Downloads" in case anyone is reading this in the future) which solved my problem and I now have a functioning downloads folder again. Thanks for your suggestions.

May 10, 2021 12:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

I can't use time machine because I don't own an external hard drive large enough to backup to.

Surely there's a way to create a new downloads folder recognised by the system as a 'downloads' folder in the same way it normally is? Or even a way to reset finder to the preinstalled folders? Seems like a seriously huge oversight if not.

Ive used daisydisk for years with no issues, the only difference this time is that Dropbox seems to have intrinsically linked itself to my downloads folder and so by deleting residual Dropbox files from my computer it's taken the downloads folder with it, which if anything is a fault of Dropbox.

May 10, 2021 12:39 PM in response to mil00

mil00 wrote:

I can't use time machine because I don't own an external hard drive large enough to backup to.
Surely there's a way to create a new downloads folder recognised by the system as a 'downloads' folder in the same way it normally is? Or even a way to reset finder to the preinstalled folders? Seems like a seriously huge oversight if not.
Ive used daisydisk for years with no issues, the only difference this time is that Dropbox seems to have intrinsically linked itself to my downloads folder and so by deleting residual Dropbox files from my computer it's taken the downloads folder with it, which if anything is a fault of Dropbox.

That seems odd because external drives are so inexpensive nowadays. I have at least two external drives that I use for Time Machine backups and another for "clone" backups, for each computer. (These also make backups of all the Dropbox files as they were at the time of each backup.)

I use Dropbox, and have also used DaisyDisk to inventory a drive (but would never use it to "clean" or delete files from a computer!), and they each do the things that the user configures or tells them to do. I don't even know how to "link" the Downloads folder to something in Dropbox, although I suppose you could have moved the downloads folder into Dropbox and somehow deleted the entire folder from there. Not sure why you are blaming Dropbox for this. When a file or folder is deleted from Dropbox, it warns the user first fairly explicitly that this step will remove the file/folder from all devices on the Dropbox account, and requests a confirmation that you really want to do this.

In any case, what happened has happened, have a look at this:

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/missing-reappearing-corrupted-files

It explains how you can recover files and even entire folders from Dropbox after you have deleted them. I believe you have at least 30 days to do this.

Also: check your Trash to make sure the lost folder is still not there.

Lastly: there are various "Data Recovery" tools available, they are not free. If your Mac has not been used much since the deletion, they can sometimes recover a deleted file or folder. I think this tends to work best on mechanical (spinning) drives, not as well on SSDs. In any case, most allow you to run them first in a trial mode to see if it can find the deleted folder first, before you buy the utility. But the folder can only be restored with the paid up version, typically.

Accidentally deleted downloads folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.