Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal lines on MacBook Pro screen

I have these horizontal lines covering my whole screen Macbook Pro 2017 with touch bar I am so disappointed will Apple help us out here seems to be a common problem Im a pensioner who saved hard to buy this machine… I hope Apple will help .

Thankyou

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 10, 2021 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 5:52 PM

Hi, darleenfromsydney, johnb here, delighted to help you out. Yes, Apple would be delighted to help you out.. but, they do not post or reply here… this is just a forum for mac users helping each other out. The standard warranty on all Macs is 1 year. If you bought/purchased AppleCare+, it would be 3 years. Your best bet would be to reach out to Apple Support, available here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca or

via their 1-800 number.or email. go to apple.com, and in the top right corner you should see a country flag. Click on the flag that matches your country.. it should give you the 1-800 number to contact Apple support in your country. First, start out with the basics… do a reset smc/pmu , followed by 3-4 x zap pram on startup. You have a MacBook Pro 2017, which means you have the T2 chip.. here’s how to do that:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

ignore the stuff that doesn’t have the T2 stuff in it. If that doesn’t work… you may have to contact your local apple store, make a genius bar appointment, bring ‘er in and see what they have to say. You could also find your local Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) bring it into them and see what they have to say..

good luck

john b

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 5:52 PM in response to darleenfromsydney

Hi, darleenfromsydney, johnb here, delighted to help you out. Yes, Apple would be delighted to help you out.. but, they do not post or reply here… this is just a forum for mac users helping each other out. The standard warranty on all Macs is 1 year. If you bought/purchased AppleCare+, it would be 3 years. Your best bet would be to reach out to Apple Support, available here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca or

via their 1-800 number.or email. go to apple.com, and in the top right corner you should see a country flag. Click on the flag that matches your country.. it should give you the 1-800 number to contact Apple support in your country. First, start out with the basics… do a reset smc/pmu , followed by 3-4 x zap pram on startup. You have a MacBook Pro 2017, which means you have the T2 chip.. here’s how to do that:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

ignore the stuff that doesn’t have the T2 stuff in it. If that doesn’t work… you may have to contact your local apple store, make a genius bar appointment, bring ‘er in and see what they have to say. You could also find your local Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) bring it into them and see what they have to say..

good luck

john b

Jun 11, 2021 2:31 AM in response to darleenfromsydney

On Australia you hsve thr right to repair, replace or refound. The problem is tha Apple support.. they are not aware about consumer rights and they gave me wrong information, but im a law student and ive ridden the consumer act (2010), its absurd.. they told me i had no right because I bought a MacBook pro in Australia but now im living in Brasil. Its a “desinformstion sopport” they tried everything to convince me that i have no rights., and that is iligal, It didn’t work. I was so despointed and fed up that I decided to reed everything concerned to consumet laws. Australia cares a lot about consumer and the laws are very clear. The problem is the support that not give the information and ACCC has charged them for omissions of consumer rights. https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Consumer%20guarantees%20-%20A%20guide%20for%20businesses%20and%20legal%20practitioners.pdf

May 21, 2021 8:02 PM in response to darleenfromsydney

Last week my 14 month old 2019 MacBook Pro 16 with i9 Core started producing thin black horizontal lines 2 mm apart on my screen. Lines would vanish when screen was closed to a smaller angle (30 degrees) and then reappear, when opening wider. Also experienced occasions ghosting of images or overlapping app windows. Took the MBP 16 to the Apple Store for further diagnosis. Techs indicated that it could be a loose display cable. They offered to check for a possible loose display cable and re-seat it. If not resolved, said display would have to be replaced. For what it’s worth. (Apple offline and online diagnostics performed all indicated no other hardware problems, with the GPU, etc. yet... Problem seemed to be diagnosed. Attaching an external display is also helpful in diagnostic of the GPU, and external display was normal. Headed back to the Apple Store next week. Not at all pleased with this situation. ( I also erased the hard drive, and installed Big Sur's latest version, reset the NVRAM, etc. to no avail.)

May 22, 2021 5:25 PM in response to frederic j

Thats exactly what happened to my 2017 Macbook Pro I read on here that US was nnow replaceinng Screenns free of charge for 2016 and 2017 models...

Whenn I called Apple in Australia I was asked if my query was about a 2017 model to press whatever the number was so I was hopefull they would replace minne but at my appointment at Apple Gennius bar I was told they had never heard of this issue or seen it before mine and wanted over $800 to replace the screen or I could trade it in on a new Macbook Pro.

So now as you can see my keyboard has a repeat issue also... Im thinking very seriously of cutting and buying a Windows Computer...Its just so so so disappointing as they are so costly and gettinng all these problems..

Jun 1, 2021 1:10 PM in response to darleenfromsydney

If it is an internal hardware issue, out of warranty it will be a challenge. I just had my 2020 MPB 16 repaired. It was a faulty internal display ribbon connecting the display to the logic board. Display had to be replaced because the cable is attached to the display screen. If you want assistance, you must work with the apple store, in hope of getting any financial assistance. Apple Care senior level support is of little assistance. I was not successful. Paid out of pocket because I mistakenly agreed to pay for the out of warranty work at the apple store, locally. You would need to protest the problem in the Apple store to get any assistance, if possible. There should be lemon laws for high end consumer hardware. I filed a complaint with apple/feedback per online apple care case worker phone service. Their quality of support is great. But their coverage of design flaws could be better.

Jun 1, 2021 5:09 PM in response to Johnb-one

I have already been yo Apple Gen. and all is fine with rest of Macbook it is 2017 Pro it has i5 intel not a T2 Chip....What is wrong with Apple they are replacing the screens in the USA but nnot here do they class us as 2nd rate in Australia..Just like the ECG on my watch that I bought 2yrs ago and didnt get to be able to use it until recently..Shame onn you Apple so expensive and onnly get 1yr warrannty???? Yes this is what my keyboard is doing nnow...

Jun 10, 2021 12:51 PM in response to darleenfromsydney

Model - MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

I am also facing this issue with horizontal lines for a very long time. Mac is getting overheated and lines start appearing at the bottom of the display panel, crawling to the middle of the screen if the laptop is not put to sleep for a while. I have gone to many service centers even when the Mac was having a warranty period. All they did was check and found no issues with the hardware. So they helped me install a new software version and said it will be okay. I didn't find a problem at the store because it was not used much but after coming back home and started using it for an hour or so, lines started appearing with the loud fan sound. I still see the issue at least 3 to 5 times every day, so each time I have to put my Mac to sleep for some time.

This is not what I paid for. Can @apple help me with the problem?

Jun 10, 2021 1:50 PM in response to userFromINDIA

Maybe-userfromINDIA, talk to Apple Support in your country. call them or email them. Make an appointment with your local Apple store’s Genius Bar, take it in and see what they have to say. Or find an AASP( apple authorized service provider) and talk to them. I’d suggest being polite. Standard warranty is 1 year, with AppleCare + it’s 3 years. Keep your wallet on standby. I presume you have done the usual: reset smc/pmu, zap pram 3-4x on startup, boot up in Safe mode see if the the problem re-occurs. From safe mode you should be able to run Apple Diagnostics…

john b

Jun 11, 2021 1:02 AM in response to darleenfromsydney

I have the same problem with my oldfashion , obsolete or whatever.. MacBook pro 2011. I bought at Apple bondi in Australia and im in Brasil now. The support there are not aware about ACCC( 2010), its a consumer law that protects goods and the dont specificate time to claim its “a resonabletime”. its a manufacture problem( hidden defect) with the logic board, the changed mine in 2015, but I didn’t know it would happen again, and again, and now. Apple put my mac at category of obsolete, means no repair, no replace, just trash. Eletronic trash. Its the planed obsolescence. I just realized it was a hidden problem now!!! So i have upgraded it with 960 gb Ssd two slots of 4 gb, paid to been cleaned… everything necessary to make it last more longer. But its dead, because there is no more parts to replace. If I knew it has this manufactured problem i had sold it years ago. I discovered because i decided to research about this line producer and there are many decisions against Apple about the same mac. I will make a claim because for this hidden issue doesn’t matter the time I bought it. What matters is the claims about the same product. I think you should look out if ts a hidden problem. And if its the case, you have right to be replaced or refunded. I had so many loss, about it, even now im in a week of exams of me law degree, and im doing everything by my iPhone!!

Jun 11, 2021 1:31 AM in response to darleenfromsydney

I had problems with Australian support they told me I was the first case with the Logic board issue on me MacBook Pro 2011., and the did not know about this cold be a manufacturer problem. The just know it’s obsolate and there’s no remedy. It was a nightmare. Im considering move to windows as well. I’ll make a claim at New South Wales fair trade.

Horizontal lines on MacBook Pro screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.