Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue while installing Security update 2021-002

Hello

When trying to install the last security update 2021-002 on my macbook pro mid-2012 (Catalina 10.15.7), I have an error once the computer restarted and after few minutes of installation. Here is the message. Sorry it is in french but it says that an error occured while generating the kernel cache.

I tried to restart but the same error occurs again and again.

The only way is to exit the installation program when the error occur and then I can log in but the security update is not installed.

I tried several times but same result.

Can someone help ? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 1:10 AM

clefev01 Said:

"Issue while installing Security update 2021-002"

-------

If Updates Aren't Proceeding:

Three Thoughts:

• Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

• Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an erro with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Wi-Fi) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 1:10 AM in response to clefev01

clefev01 Said:

-------

If Updates Aren't Proceeding:

Three Thoughts:

• Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

• Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an erro with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Wi-Fi) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

May 11, 2021 1:11 AM in response to clefev01

clefev01 Said:

-------

Important:

Create a Time Machine Backup, First:

Prior to the installation of your macOS update, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

Issue while installing Security update 2021-002

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.