Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyword Export missing in Big Sur

It appears that the option to export keywords to JPEG from the PHOTOS app is broken in Big Sur. In Catalina, when I exported JPEG files, the keywords were present for importing into my gallery software. However, since Big Sur, the keywords are missing. Has anybody else noticed this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 11, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 4:41 PM

I was wrong and unhelpful. I am sorry. I decided to check myself. I have the ability to include the keyword info when I export as JPEG in Big Sur 11.3.1 and Photos Version 6.

This image shows where the box should be to include that with the export.

Also, If you are using iCloud Photos this could be effecting it. This is in the iCloud Settings and then Photos.

"Select one of the following options:

• Download Originals to this Mac: Stores the full-size versions of your photos both on your Mac and in iCloud.
    • Optimize Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac.” 

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 4:41 PM in response to Scott-he-him

I was wrong and unhelpful. I am sorry. I decided to check myself. I have the ability to include the keyword info when I export as JPEG in Big Sur 11.3.1 and Photos Version 6.

This image shows where the box should be to include that with the export.

Also, If you are using iCloud Photos this could be effecting it. This is in the iCloud Settings and then Photos.

"Select one of the following options:

• Download Originals to this Mac: Stores the full-size versions of your photos both on your Mac and in iCloud.
    • Optimize Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac.” 

May 11, 2021 4:15 PM in response to Amazinglyamazing

Hey Amazinglyamazing,

I do not use this feature so I apologize if this info is redundant or unhelpful. I checked the user guide. It seems if you export as a JPEG which is a small file size image type it will not include that info unless I am mistaken. That info is not mentioned other than that you can request to be separated if you export as the original file type.

Here is that user guide section. I will also paste the section for export in original format. Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

"Export photos in their original format

You can export photos in the original file format in which they were imported into your Photos library. A Live Photo is exported as two separate files: a still image file and a video file.

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, select the photos you want to export.
  2. Choose File > Export > Export Unmodified Original.
  3. If you want to export IPTC information (assigned IPTC metadata and keywords) as a sidecar XMP file, select the Export IPTC as XMP checkbox. 

1. Click the File Name pop-up menu and choose how to name the exported files (this step is optional).
  2. You can name your exported files using the titles you’ve given them in Photos, their filenames, or a filename numbered sequentially. If you choose Sequential, you can specify text to appear before each number (for example, Birthday - 1, Birthday - 2, and so on). 
  3. Click the Subfolder Format pop-up menu and choose how to divide the exported files into folders.
  4. For example, if you export photos from several different days, you can have Photos export each day as a subfolder named after the day. Choose None to export the photos as individual files without subfolders.
  5. Click Export.
  6. Choose where to save the exported photo files, then click Export Originals."

I hope this is helpful for you,

• Scott (he, him)

May 19, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Hi Berryso,

Indeed it's important to check the 'Include: Title, Keywords, and Caption' option, but that does not resolve the problem when exporting images as JPG files. Keywords are simply not included in the JPG metadata.

As suggested below by Matti Haveri, the only workaround is to export to PNG. In that case, keywords are included. See the screenshot below, showing the properties of a JPG vs. PNG export.

I hope that Apple will resolve this bug soon!

May 12, 2021 11:39 AM in response to Amazinglyamazing

Yes, it's a known bug. Be sure to report it to Apple via Feedback - Photos - Apple. The squeaky wheel theory and all that.

Exporting the unmodified original along with it's XML file will get all of the keywords and other metadata in XML file. Also exporting as a tiff file will get the keywords and other metadata added to the file. It's just not jpegs that work.

Keyword Export missing in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.