Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caching service low on disk space

I occasionally get these alerts from a MacPro running Big Sur. There is no "Content Caching" pane in System Preferences - Sharing. How do I stop this alert?

Posted on May 13, 2021 3:54 PM

15 replies

Jun 16, 2021 11:05 AM in response to mistercatworks

Your mac, your call.

This thing is not doing anything to protect your mac.

Your mac is vulnerable because it cannot run an up to date OS, and can no longer receive security updates.

But that vulnerability is not lessened by using this.

I will let someone far more knowledgeable and more articulate than myself explain:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

May 18, 2021 8:13 AM in response to software license

That depends on what you want to do about the alert. If you want to stop the alerts from appearing, change the DisplayAlerts option. If you want to increase the cache size or reduce the reserve space, change the CacheLimit and/or ReservedVolumeSpace options. If you want to turn off content caching altogether, run: AssetCacheManagerUtil deactivate.

One reason why the content caching pane might not appear in System Preferences > Sharing is if you are running macOS in a virtual machine. Is your macOS virtual, or running natively on a Mac? You might have to change the options or deactivate on the base OS rather than in the VM.

Jun 15, 2021 5:24 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

There are three drives on the computer which sent the message. All three have at least 75GB free, so I don't even know which one is "low on space" because none are. The OS is El Capitan. There is no "Content Caching" service in System Preferences - Sharing, so I cannot even turn it off. Web searches all go back to that service setting, which does not exist on this machine. It is frustrating.

Caching service low on disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.