Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked aliases cannot be deleted, so the original folders can be restored.

Not exactly sure of the source of the problem. If more information is required, I would be happy to provide.

New laptop. Imported/migrated info from a previous Mac.

Is using dropbox to consolidate folders so those who want to access, change, save and deal with files from different sources, can do so.

(Apple in its infinite wisdom, has not realised there is a massive opportunity whereby it do the same. It has created a wall between different Apple ids.

Common sense one, Apple zero.

As much as Dropbox supposedly allows this to happen, in the process of dealing with a new laptop, and new users, it has created locked aliases for the imported desktop/documents/download folders.

Not only have this folders gone AWOL, one cannot even blow the dead aliases out of the system

Ignore my diatribe.

How do I delete the locked aliases that purport to link to folder that exist nowhere.

All I want is to reclaim the ability to have stuff on my Mac under the user profile..

I realise much of this might not make much sense. I have been struggling with how illogical this is and other issues for over a month.

Posted on May 13, 2021 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 4:38 AM

Unfortunately, Dropbox were unable to help. (I spent hours with them on several occasions).

Fortunately, after considerable time with apple support, we identified that only one of the users had read/write authority over those files,.

By logging into that user profiles, I was able to delete the aliases.

2 replies

Locked aliases cannot be deleted, so the original folders can be restored.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.