Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone X is dead, I want to transfer my recent back up to my old iphone 6 to retrieve some important data. However, when trying to do so I get the error : "the backup can not be restored to this iPhone because the software is too old.."

My iphone X is dead, I want to transfer my recent back up from my computer to my old iphone 6 to retrieve some important data. However, when trying to do so I get the error : "the backup can not be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old.."

I followed https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203434 to the letter, my software is up to date, I confirmed it from settings as well as on itunes. (iOS 12.5.3)

What should I do?

Thank you.

iPhone X

Posted on May 14, 2021 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 3:29 AM

If iPhone X has a higher iOS version than iPhone 6 then the backup cannot be used.

You can use the backup of iPhone 6 to iPhone X

1 reply

My iphone X is dead, I want to transfer my recent back up to my old iphone 6 to retrieve some important data. However, when trying to do so I get the error : "the backup can not be restored to this iPhone because the software is too old.."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.