Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS EXTREMELY SLOW update download speed

I am currently running macOS Big Sur v11.2.3 and trying to download/install updates. It has been 2 days and its only downloaded 23.6MB out of 5.70GB

This seems unreasonably slow and I would assume Apple would have more bandwidth than this on their servers.

I've already tried cancelling the update and starting it over. I've also tried restarting my computer. No matter what I do the update is downloading extremely slow.

I've run a speed test on the computer itself and I am getting the expected 300Mbps as provided by my ISP. At this point I have no idea how I can get this to finish downloading in a reasonable time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Posted on May 14, 2021 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 9:29 AM

Unfortunately, it's a well-known fact that ever since Apple started using its own CDN to deliver software updates, the download performance can be crippling and abysmally slow. It has nothing to do with your system. The issue is on Apple's side. You can be lucky and get a fast download, at other times you will have to wait 12 hours for a 12 GB file to finish.

[Edited by Moderator]

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 9:29 AM in response to jc1118

Unfortunately, it's a well-known fact that ever since Apple started using its own CDN to deliver software updates, the download performance can be crippling and abysmally slow. It has nothing to do with your system. The issue is on Apple's side. You can be lucky and get a fast download, at other times you will have to wait 12 hours for a 12 GB file to finish.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 14, 2021 2:28 PM in response to jc1118

What internet speeds do you have?

Are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

How much free space do you have on your boot drive?

WiFi is much slower than Ethernet. Connect via ethernet and try again. Also try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the App Store, search for and download the full Big Sur installer.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

I've had better luck goring thru the App store than thru the System/Software Update preference pane.

May 14, 2021 2:24 PM in response to jc1118

Restart the Router and Shutdown the computer. Move computer as close the Router as possible. Disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - what the Max Bandwidth to this computer. Restart Router. Pause and Hold Power Button / Touch ID for ten seconds - if am correct - the M1 should bring up Options and choose Safe Mode - load slowly - normal. Once logged in Open the Apple Store and find Big Sur and download it. This will be the Full Version 11.3.1. It is going to take some time so be patient. Once successful there should be a New Application in Applications folder called Install Big Sur. Run this application and it will proceed to update. There will be several automatic reboots along the way until Setup Assist presents itself.

Have had more success this way than the iffy Software Update method.

May 14, 2021 2:31 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi, thank you for your response:

I should have mentioned that I am hardwired into the network so max bandwidth is gigabit ethernet. I will try to restart my router as suggested though.

You mentioned M1? My MacBook Pro is from 2013 so it does not have an M1 processor in it. Do the directions you provided still apply to me? Thanks again for your help

Jun 30, 2021 8:57 AM in response to knowlie

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be interfering with a more expedient download.

May 14, 2021 2:33 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi, thanks for your response:

My internet speed is 300 Mbps. I have confirmed that my Mac is getting those speeds just fine by running a speed test within my browser.

I am connected over ethernet (gigabit)

My boot drive has 87Gb free which should be plenty for the 5GB update.

Thanks you for the instructions. I will give them a shot

macOS EXTREMELY SLOW update download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.