Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri has become useless after update to 14.5.1; audible responses cut off after a word or half word

I'm having serious problems on an iPhone 11 running iOS 14.5.1. Siri's audible responses are cut off (on CarPlay or on speaker or on iPods Pro) after only a word or two, but the Siri icon remains on screen as though the digital assistant were still speaking. The problem persists even after a restart of the iPhone. The problem its persistent, but occasionally intermittent: about 9 times out of 10, Siri's response is apocopated as described; occasionally she manages to break through. Most times now (after the update to 14.5.1), I invoke Siri, ask a question like, “Hey Siri, what's the weather?" The screen shows “It's currently partly cloudy and 72°F. Expect clear skies…” etc. But Siri says, “It's cur…” and stops speaking. She sometimes keeps speaking on some “easter-egg” responses I use to test Siri's voice, e.g., “Hey Siri what's zero divided by zero?” But on others I ask “What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?” and she says, “The last…” (when she was going to say, “the last person who asked me that ended up in a crevasse.”

More seriously, this is especially annoying for composing text messages hands free, since I say “Siri tell [contact] [content of message].” Her response should say, “Your message to [contact name] says [content of message]” but now she says, “Your…“ or “Your message to…” This makes Siri pretty useless for most functions now.

All settings are turned on: Settings > Siri & Search

Listen for “Hey Siri” [on]

Press Side Button for Siri [on]

Allow Siri When Locked [on]

Siri Responses > Always

Announce Calls > Headphones & Car

Announce Messages > Announce Messages with Siri [on]; Announce Messages from: Messages [on]

Mute switch on the side of the iPhone is in the ”sound on” position

Posted on May 14, 2021 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 9:28 AM

(Return iPhone settings to their defaults)

After performing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings the problem seems to have resolved for now. I have not tested CarPlay yet.

It is possible that Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings may have also worked for this problem, but I thought Reset All might be better.

Note that “Reset All Settings” does not erase any data, but resets Network settings, Privacy/Location settings, and removes Apple Pay Cards. Had to sign back in to my Wi-Fi network and set up Apple Pay and other settings, but it is easily done, and not the full-blown Erase and Restore operation.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Jagmaracmedeara

(Return iPhone settings to their defaults)

After performing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings the problem seems to have resolved for now. I have not tested CarPlay yet.

It is possible that Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings may have also worked for this problem, but I thought Reset All might be better.

Note that “Reset All Settings” does not erase any data, but resets Network settings, Privacy/Location settings, and removes Apple Pay Cards. Had to sign back in to my Wi-Fi network and set up Apple Pay and other settings, but it is easily done, and not the full-blown Erase and Restore operation.

May 23, 2021 7:07 PM in response to Jagmaracmedeara

Same things happening to me. Both in the car and outside the car. The Siri response will cut off after a second or two (e.g. “Hey Siri, Yankees score.” Then the response: “The Ya—-“) In CarPlay it will read messages silently when I ask Siri to read new messages. 

I just reset all settings a month ago for another Siri problem, so while it’s not as cumbersome as a full blown restore, it’s not something I want to do if the problem will just creep back. It sounds from this and another thread on here that it’s an iOS bug. iPhone 11 Pro here running the latest iOS.

Siri has become useless after update to 14.5.1; audible responses cut off after a word or half word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.