Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive

I have an early 2015 MacBook retina, I want to get an external optical drive to play DVD films on, I want to get an Apple drive I have found two different models made by Apple which are A1270 and A1379 which one would be compatible? I have had trouble with compatibility before with a late 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch running El Capitan, bought a brand new SuperDrive from Apple plugged it in, computer said no! Had to send back, just don’t want to go down that road again! Any advice would be helpful indeed thanks

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 6:54 PM

Personally I would skip the Apple SuperDrives as they have compatibility issues and only work with certain model Macs. You should just purchase a third party USB DVD drive which should be compatible with any Mac or other PC. I have no clue which SuperDrives are compatible with which Macs. Apple at one time had a document about this, but I couldn't find it when I last looked a few years ago.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 6:54 PM in response to Nose200

Personally I would skip the Apple SuperDrives as they have compatibility issues and only work with certain model Macs. You should just purchase a third party USB DVD drive which should be compatible with any Mac or other PC. I have no clue which SuperDrives are compatible with which Macs. Apple at one time had a document about this, but I couldn't find it when I last looked a few years ago.

May 16, 2021 5:04 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks so much you have confirmed what I thought, Apple say officially the SuperDrive will work with all Mac models from 2008 on, but, as you say there are compatibility issues I think that the A1379 model will work with 2011 MacBooks onward. I’m not prepared however to risk £80 on a drive that may or may not work, so, I’ll do as you suggested by a cheaper 3rd party drive that will work. Thanks so much for your speedy reply, great knowledge base as a new member.

SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.