Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive, CD & DVD Reader/Writer

Will this (new) external dvd payer work with on my Mac with Big Sur 11.4 installed. I had an older apple superdrive but it refused to work on the mac or my MacBook air 2020 so I think it was damaged. I need to buy a new DVD payer.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 10:06 AM

Howdy,

My Apple USB SuperDrive, Model A1379 works with my iMac Mid 2015 running Big Sur 11.4 just fine.

It plays CDs, DVDs, installs software and all of it.

I just tested on my MBPro 16" and it works there too with Big Sur 11.4.

Ivan

11 replies

Jun 13, 2021 10:02 AM in response to scorpion6664

The Apple superdrive should work on any Mac that does not have a built in super drive. I do not have a brand new Mac, so I cannot speak as to the compatibility with M1 models - best to ask Apple about that. However, there are other external third party products which will work. Try to pick one that has its own power supply as the plug in types sometimes require more power than the USB ports offer, and a tray drive is more reliable (and can accept different sizes of media) than the slot models.

Apple USB SuperDrive, CD & DVD Reader/Writer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.