Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Norton on Big Sur- issues with Norton's security preferences and password management

I've been using Norton products for years on my Macs and Windows computers. In more recent times, it's become problematic on my Big Sur MacBook Pro (2014 i7 yada yada).

1. Security Issues: Even after allowing apps, I continue to get pop-ups asking if I want to block or allow, allow once, etc. etc. I've played around with the settings, but only stop getting "At Risk..." messages when everything is nailed down, meaning I lose internet access. Outlook has been the most problematic, and I spent several hours with someone from Norton's Helpdesk trying to sort out why I couldn't send emails.
  2. Password Management: I quite like the password management provided by using the Keychain tool. However, Norton appears ****-bent on me using their Password Manager. Clicking on "Remind me later" has become annoying.

I've been using Macs since the early Mac Classic days, and in that time have detected thousands of viruses... on my Windows computers... and none on any of the Macs I've used. Shall I just keep it deleted, and put my 2 year subscription down to experience?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 15, 2021 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 4:40 AM

Definitive keep Norton or for that matter any other AntiVirus software off the Mac. Effective defenses against malware and other threats and AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. Plus, there are no known Viruses in the wild that self propagate on macOS. Yes, there is Adware and Malware affecting macOS but can be usually easily removed with MalwareBytes

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 4:40 AM in response to Oolon

Definitive keep Norton or for that matter any other AntiVirus software off the Mac. Effective defenses against malware and other threats and AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. Plus, there are no known Viruses in the wild that self propagate on macOS. Yes, there is Adware and Malware affecting macOS but can be usually easily removed with MalwareBytes

Norton on Big Sur- issues with Norton's security preferences and password management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.