Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey and Norton VPN

I have a problem with Norton VPN. When starting the VPN, a popup window appears that is non-closable, non-movable and stays in the forefront of the screen. The only way to get rid of it is to quit Norton VPN. I did a Norton VPN support chat and allowed the support person to do a "LOG ME IN RESCUE". He finally did a remove of the Norton VPN app and all associated system files. I then downloaded a fresh copy of the app. Unfortunately, the problem still exists.

Actually, when the fresh app first started, I noticed that my mac.com email in Mail had an alert that it wasn't connecting (my other email account were ok). When I quit Norton VPN, Mail immediately downloaded my mac.com emails.

There appears to be some incompatibility between the macOS and Norton VPN. I noticed other similar posts here going back a couple of years.

Does anyone have any insights into this issue? Is it related to Apple's focus on security and some incompatibility with Norton VPN?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 10:33 AM

Here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 10:33 AM in response to SlippySlope

Here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

Dec 16, 2021 10:02 AM in response to SlippySlope

Using a VPN to access content on the Internet is counterproductive. It does absolutely nothing to protect your privacy or enhance security. Quite the opposite, in fact.

When you use a VPN to access the Internet, you are funneling ALL of your data traffic through a single entity whose only motivation is to collect money from you and possibly to profit off of the information they glean from your data traffic.

Dec 16, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad (and BobTheFisherman and KiltedTim). I had no idea...years ago, I used to VPN to my US and Dutch office servers (using the protocol in network settings) and only thought of the public VPNs as one and the same. Those articles were enlightening, to say the least. I don't try to circumvent overseas streaming services like Netflix, etc...only seeking "security protection". It's now obvious to me that the public VPNs are the antithesis of security protection. Thanks again to all of you.

Monterey and Norton VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.