Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro display only works in safe boot or when connected to an external display

Hi,

My macbook pro screen only works when I boot into safe boot or connect to an external display via HDMI. Otherwise, since this morning, the display is fully distorted when the login screen appears.

When it's distorted, if I connect to the external display via HDMI, the macbook pro screen looks fine and is fully usable. But if I unplug the HDMI cable, the macbook pro screen may work fine for a few moments (less than 1-2 minutes), but then it goes back to distortion when I start using any application.

I've reset NVRAM or PRAM and reset SMC. Is there anything else I can do besides sending it in for repair or replacing it?

I don't fully understand why it works fine when I have an HDMI external display connected.

Example:

Specs:

MacBook Pro, 13 inch, Early 2015

macOS Big Sur (11.3.1)

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1526 MB

8GB Memory

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 15, 2021 7:23 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 16, 2021 9:33 AM in response to emalcolm

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, emalcolm.

If we understand your post correctly, the display on your MacBook Pro is not working unless you boot into safe mode or use an external monitor. We’d like to help.

Follow the steps in the "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" section of this article:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

May 17, 2021 12:34 PM in response to rose_10

Thanks for the reply. I setup a new user and still had the same issue. I also reinstalled the OS and it still has the issue.

It seems like safe boot is disabling certain types of graphic features, which trigger the issue. Are there settings I can turn off to have my normal boot mirror safe boot's graphical settings?

I don't want to spend 528 bucks to send it in for repairs and I don't want to only use laptop when it is plugged into an external device, especially when the laptop screen works perfectly fine when connected to an external display.

Please advise.

Here's a short video showing that the macbook pro display works when connected to another display, but does not when it's disconnected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Iw-LkcE0k&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

May 17, 2021 6:41 PM in response to emalcolm

So, the built in display been stable for several hours while connected to an external HDMI monitor. I'm going to purchase a dummy HDMI plug as this looks like the most cost effective option: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dummy+hdmi+plug&qid=1621301466&sr=8-5

If anyone can explain why the display won't work without an external display attached, but works flawlessly with an external display attached, I'd love to know. I'm assuming driving an external display kicks in something different on the graphics card which is working properly, but without it, it's saving power and using some part of the hardware that is faulty. Thoughts?

I had an 2011 MBP that never had an issue. 5 years into this model, and it seems like it's reaching the end of it's useful life. Bummer!

Macbook Pro display only works in safe boot or when connected to an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.