Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) I lose my connection to my router when I put the computer to sleep overnight. All my other device stay connected. I have to do a restart to get it back.

On my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) I lose my connection to my router when I put the computer to sleep overnight. All my other device stay connected. I have to do a restart to get it back.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 15, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 1:37 PM

If your Mac cannot connect to the Internet, and the Internet connection has been verified good, the issue may be the preferences.plist file has become damaged. This preference file can cause a number of networking problems, including network

loss after sleep, an inability to log in, and even an inability to start-up.

Try the following on your Mac in order, until (hopefully) resolved. Put your iMac to sleep, and after awaking it, see if it has network connectivity.

Create a New User Account

1. System Preferences > Accounts
  2. Click "+" to add a new account.
  3. Log off, and then, log back on with the new user account. If this resolves the problem, there may be something amiss with your current profile and will require further troubleshooting. If this does not resolve the problem, go ahead and log back into your normal account and go on to the next step.

Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

1. Launch the "Keychain Access" application, located in Applications/Utilities.
  2. In the left-side window, select "login" under Keychains and "Passwords" under Category.
  3. Click on the "Kind" filter at the top and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.
  4. Close Keychain Access.
  5. Again, put your Mac into sleep mode, and then, wake it up.

Delete & Add Back Preferred Network(s)

1. System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  2. Delete all entries under "Preferred Networks."
  3. Click on OK.
  4. System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  5. Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Restart or log out, and then, back in.
  8. Put your Mac into sleep mode, and then, awaken it. If it works, then you are done. If not, go on to the next step.

Move System Configuration Files

1. Quit any applications that are currently using Wi-Fi.
  2. Turn off Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar.
  3. Open Finder > Go > Go To Folder
  4. In the "Go to the folder" window, enter:/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  5. Click on Go
  6. Locate and select the following files: (Note: Files are macOS version specific, not all the following files are used in each version.) com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist, com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist, & preferences.plist
  7. Move any matching files to the macOS Desktop. You can place them all in a folder as a backup. The "missing" files will be rebuilt after restarting the Mac.
  8. Reboot the Mac.
  9. Re-enable Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar.
  10. Put your Mac to sleep, and then, awaken it.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Mandrin M.

If your Mac cannot connect to the Internet, and the Internet connection has been verified good, the issue may be the preferences.plist file has become damaged. This preference file can cause a number of networking problems, including network

loss after sleep, an inability to log in, and even an inability to start-up.

Try the following on your Mac in order, until (hopefully) resolved. Put your iMac to sleep, and after awaking it, see if it has network connectivity.

Create a New User Account

1. System Preferences > Accounts
  2. Click "+" to add a new account.
  3. Log off, and then, log back on with the new user account. If this resolves the problem, there may be something amiss with your current profile and will require further troubleshooting. If this does not resolve the problem, go ahead and log back into your normal account and go on to the next step.

Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

1. Launch the "Keychain Access" application, located in Applications/Utilities.
  2. In the left-side window, select "login" under Keychains and "Passwords" under Category.
  3. Click on the "Kind" filter at the top and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.
  4. Close Keychain Access.
  5. Again, put your Mac into sleep mode, and then, wake it up.

Delete & Add Back Preferred Network(s)

1. System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  2. Delete all entries under "Preferred Networks."
  3. Click on OK.
  4. System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  5. Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Restart or log out, and then, back in.
  8. Put your Mac into sleep mode, and then, awaken it. If it works, then you are done. If not, go on to the next step.

Move System Configuration Files

1. Quit any applications that are currently using Wi-Fi.
  2. Turn off Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar.
  3. Open Finder > Go > Go To Folder
  4. In the "Go to the folder" window, enter:/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  5. Click on Go
  6. Locate and select the following files: (Note: Files are macOS version specific, not all the following files are used in each version.) com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist, com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist, & preferences.plist
  7. Move any matching files to the macOS Desktop. You can place them all in a folder as a backup. The "missing" files will be rebuilt after restarting the Mac.
  8. Reboot the Mac.
  9. Re-enable Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar.
  10. Put your Mac to sleep, and then, awaken it.

May 16, 2021 1:06 PM in response to Sean_B1

Hello Sean_B1

Yesterday I ran the "create a Wi-Fi diagnostic report" and the reports are in my /tmp file. As per your information I will Monitor my Wi-Fi connection over night when I put the computer to sleep. Yesterday I opened my computer after putting it to seep and the Wi-Fi was off, I went to System Preferences Network and Wi-Fi was on so I turned it off and on and my connection to the Wi-Fi showed it was back. Thanks for your help. I would like to get this resolved before my warranty runs out on my new computer.

Thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.