Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Document could not be autosaved (Synology NAS / SMB Mounted Volume)

Driving me bats. Every three minutes or so. Apple Pages and Numbers both throwing these persistent errors.

The document “insert document name.pages” could not be autosaved. The file has been changed by another application.

No it hasn't. Im working at three in the morning alone. It's just me. The numbers file was opened from a template file and saved onto the Nas.

Saving it onto a local drive (M1 mini Big Sur) the file works fine. Move it to the NAS, this rubbish.

Opened a pages file yesterday on older iMac machine running os from 3 or 4 versions back on another synchronised NAS, no problem. Open the duplicate copy of that file in this location from the NAS on the M1 mini – boom errors.

Can't even turn off auto save to fix the error. (I seriously detest auto save in specific instances like when quickly raiding a file for content). "ask to keep changes when closing documents" is not a fix.

So now I have to duplicate to local drive then copy back to server. Grrr.

Terribly disrupting to work flow.

Please allow us to turn on or off autosave.

Posted on May 15, 2021 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 7:13 AM

Apple tested autosave on local Apple filesystems and iCloud Drive.

My Synology NAS is not serving SMB shares, it is doing AFP over TCP/IP and using an older DSM v5 management software. I can create a new Pages v11.0 document on that mounted share, insert a shape, and in a separate Finder window, watch autosave update that shape in the document stored on the Synology.

A consequence of directly writing a Pages document to a Synology NAS share is that version information that would help you recover past versions of the same document are not able to be saved on the NAS. They are saved on the local filesystem or iCloud Drive.

You might want to rethink serving SMB shares with the current Synology configuration and give AFP over TCP a try when working with Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Preview (it also autosaves).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 7:13 AM in response to Rob Lux

Apple tested autosave on local Apple filesystems and iCloud Drive.

My Synology NAS is not serving SMB shares, it is doing AFP over TCP/IP and using an older DSM v5 management software. I can create a new Pages v11.0 document on that mounted share, insert a shape, and in a separate Finder window, watch autosave update that shape in the document stored on the Synology.

A consequence of directly writing a Pages document to a Synology NAS share is that version information that would help you recover past versions of the same document are not able to be saved on the NAS. They are saved on the local filesystem or iCloud Drive.

You might want to rethink serving SMB shares with the current Synology configuration and give AFP over TCP a try when working with Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Preview (it also autosaves).

Document could not be autosaved (Synology NAS / SMB Mounted Volume)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.