Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older model Macbook Pro will not start up

Hi everyone,

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I have an older mac book pro which i am trying to get started. It was originally trying to start off its cd/dvd drive, i have managed to bypass the firmware password by strategically placing a credit card in the drive so now i am not receiving the lock, i get an apple logo and progress bar. It takes forever to get to the end of the progress bar and then, nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have already attempted the following:

• Command R
  • Option
  • P + R Option Command.
  • Option control shift option command (left side) with power.
  • I have disconnected the power internally.
  • Replaced Ram

Thank you in advance

MacBook

Posted on May 16, 2021 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 7:06 AM

Welcome.

I have an older mac book pro

"How old" makes a huge difference in troubleshooting. MacBook Pros have been in continuous production since Jan 2006 in over 100 variants. No all variants have the same troubleshooting steps, and older models cannot take advantage ot the command R recovery function.

As the computer is not starting, this Apple support page will have you find the important sub-model (variant) information:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If the computer has black keys, the serial number on the bottom of the case but in very fine print:

or

If the computer has silver keys, the number is inside the battery bay:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Advicerequired

Welcome.

I have an older mac book pro

"How old" makes a huge difference in troubleshooting. MacBook Pros have been in continuous production since Jan 2006 in over 100 variants. No all variants have the same troubleshooting steps, and older models cannot take advantage ot the command R recovery function.

As the computer is not starting, this Apple support page will have you find the important sub-model (variant) information:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If the computer has black keys, the serial number on the bottom of the case but in very fine print:

or

If the computer has silver keys, the number is inside the battery bay:

Older model Macbook Pro will not start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.