Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email between iPhone and iMac do not sync

When I delete an email from my iPhone or iMac, it doesn't delete from the other device....if I delete email from iPhone , its still on my mac

iPhone XR

Posted on May 17, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 9:12 AM

If you are using the Mac Mail client on both devices (and iCloud mail using IMAP), created the connections using the standard settings when setting up iCloud they should be in sync. You might want to open the mailbox app on your Mac and choose Mailbox from the Menu bar and select 'Synchronise all accounts' and see if that brings them back in sync.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 9:12 AM in response to mvfrompr

If you are using the Mac Mail client on both devices (and iCloud mail using IMAP), created the connections using the standard settings when setting up iCloud they should be in sync. You might want to open the mailbox app on your Mac and choose Mailbox from the Menu bar and select 'Synchronise all accounts' and see if that brings them back in sync.

Jun 4, 2021 3:37 PM in response to dcpinnc

If you tried the re-sync option then I would suggest that on your Mac, assuming you are using the Mac Mail client, choose MailBox, Rebuild from the menu bar. This may help. If this fails, and again assuming all your devices are using IMAP to handle mail which means your mailboxes are left intact and contain all your mail on the server, try the following:

1. Log into each of your mail accounts using a web browser and check that all your mail and folders etc., are present and correct.
  2. On your two computers (you don't say if they are Mac) take a Time Machine backup and for the iPhone take an iCloud backup
  3. On each device I would then suggest 'signing out' of your mail accounts and choose to remove local content
  4. When all devices are signed out of mail - reboot/restart each device to clear any stored cache
  5. On each device in sequence re-add your mail accounts and give each device (particularly the first one) time to sync with the server and download mail content.
  6. Repeat and see if the devices now re-sync.

Please advise if this process works for you.

Jun 13, 2021 11:36 AM in response to ASH_IT

Thank you for your response. I did all of these things and actually ended up talking to Apple on several different days, giving them screen recordings, details about my devices, etc. It was escalated to Apple iCloud engineering and as of yesterday afternoon, my account was fixed. :-) So there was actually nothing that I did on my end to make it work.

I have a followup call with Apple tomorrow and maybe (?) I'll find out what the problem was. Either way, it's working normally now, and it seems like it might have been unique to my account.

Jun 13, 2021 11:55 AM in response to dcpinnc

That's good to hear - would be interesting to learn what action they took. From managing other mail systems, I would anticipate them having re-set the sync state on each of your devices looking to the mail server. Only an assumption, but the last option I suggested was to try and initiate that reset from your side - clearly needed an active action from Apple.

email between iPhone and iMac do not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.