Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Mini is very slow when first started. Is the process "suggestd" to blame? How do i remove the process "suggestd"?

My Mac Mini has become very sluggish after starting up, to the point that I usually walk away for 15 minutes to half an hour in order to let it do its thing before sitting down and starting work. I noticed on Activity Monitor a process called suggestd that seems to be hogging CPU and process time. And my system insists on doing a backup right at startup. Can suggestd be turned off? Can I get Time Machine to not backup my computer right at startup?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 17, 2021 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 6:22 AM

There are normally scheduled housekeeping tasks that commence when your Mac is powered on and these will put a dent in your initial Mac performance until they complete. Among these are software update, Spotlight indexing, and Time Machine performing the first hourly backup of the day. If you have elected to show the Time Machine indicator in the menu bar, you can click on that icon while Time Machine is still preparing the backup, and request to skip this backup.

Personally, I use the first few minutes after I power on my Mac to fetch that craved cup of dark roast coffee and consume breakfast.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 6:22 AM in response to gwalchmir

There are normally scheduled housekeeping tasks that commence when your Mac is powered on and these will put a dent in your initial Mac performance until they complete. Among these are software update, Spotlight indexing, and Time Machine performing the first hourly backup of the day. If you have elected to show the Time Machine indicator in the menu bar, you can click on that icon while Time Machine is still preparing the backup, and request to skip this backup.

Personally, I use the first few minutes after I power on my Mac to fetch that craved cup of dark roast coffee and consume breakfast.

My Mac Mini is very slow when first started. Is the process "suggestd" to blame? How do i remove the process "suggestd"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.