Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2017 iMac with OS 10.15.6 runs way too slow.

After start up of my iMac(21.5:,2017), purchased on 3/4/2020, Mail, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, the Applications folder and Nord VPN all start up way too slowly. Pasting from the clipboard (Cloud Clip) often gets the beachball.

I also get the beachball way too often in general. There are other issues also that I can’t recall at this time.

Time machine fails to backup at least once nearly every day

I have an Etrecheck report. How do I post it here? I tried to paste it here, but got an errort message saying I exceeded 5,000 characters.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 1:53 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 10, 2020 2:18 PM in response to 11james

There are a few issues, however the primary problem is you did not buy the correct Mac for your needs. In short, you have an entry level iMac that is designed for doing e-mail and surfing the Net. However you are using it with professional grade apps. It is limited by having only 8GB of RAM that cannot be upgraded by end users and a glacially slow 5400 RPM HD. The ONLY thing that will improved performance on this machine is to buy an external USB 3 or Thunderbolt SSD, clone your internal HD to the SSD and then use the SSD as your primary drive and use the internal HD for additional storage. You can clone the drive using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

The other thing I see is you have an app call CleanerOne installed, at best this is worthless and should be uninstalled. Mac OS does not require any third party "maintenance" apps to run well, this includes antivirus, cleaning, security and any other types of maintenance apps.

Best of luck.

My 2017 iMac with OS 10.15.6 runs way too slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.