Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can send text messages from my iPhone but not my iPad to Samsung devices. No issues sending to other Apple devices from either. What is causing this?

I am unable to send text messages from my iPad to Samsung devices anymore. I have changed nothing, but they will only go through if sent from my iPhone. Any suggestions?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 17, 2021 5:01 PM

7 replies

May 17, 2021 5:33 PM in response to AmyWaite

Your iPad is not a cellular telephone. It has no capability of sending or receiving SMS text messages to/from cellular telephones. Since you apparently have an iPhone, you may use that iPhone in conjunction with your iPad to accomplish this as follows:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

May 18, 2021 4:20 AM in response to AmyWaite

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you find this to helpful in resolving the issue.

May 17, 2021 6:20 PM in response to sberman

i have always been able to text from my iPad. Text messaging is enabled. The issue started last week when I tried to send a text to my son (he has a Samsung) while I was out of the country (not sure if that has any relevance) and it failed. I was able to send texts to him from my phone. We are back and I still cannot send from my iPad to Samsung devices but I can send texts from my iPad to other Apple devices.

May 17, 2021 6:28 PM in response to AmyWaite

AmyWaite wrote:

i have always been able to text from my iPad.

You have never been able to text (to a non-Apple cellular telephone) from your iPad without using your iPhone in a Handoff mode. It is not possible. Yes, your iPad uses iMessage to communicate to other Apple devices autonomously.

Read the article I linked above to enable Handoff using your iPhone to facilitate the iPad’s texting.

I can send text messages from my iPhone but not my iPad to Samsung devices. No issues sending to other Apple devices from either. What is causing this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.