Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Blues with iOS 12.5.3

I still use an iPod Touch (6th gen) dedicated exclusively to music. Where can I download iOS 12.5. Since updating to 12.5.3 on my iPod touch, iTunes crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME. My iPod is useless right now (and yes, iTunes is also up to date). I can't find any older version iOS in the app store and I'm not having any luck online so far. Thanks!

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on May 18, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 11:46 AM

Hi, I dealt with this for a couple of hours yesterday, I have the same iPod and use it the same as you. On text chat with Apple support, which was great by the way. I suggest you go through Apple support via text as I did. It will also let them know that this upgrade caused issues. This can be solved. Today I finished moving my cd downloaded music from iTunes on my computer to my iPod. All is well. And PS, I don't use the "cloud".

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 11:46 AM in response to dash227

Hi, I dealt with this for a couple of hours yesterday, I have the same iPod and use it the same as you. On text chat with Apple support, which was great by the way. I suggest you go through Apple support via text as I did. It will also let them know that this upgrade caused issues. This can be solved. Today I finished moving my cd downloaded music from iTunes on my computer to my iPod. All is well. And PS, I don't use the "cloud".

May 19, 2021 9:03 AM in response to dash227

Reverting to a previous operating system is never recommended (as it risks not working at all) and you're unlikely to find older software to use.

However, a quick browse through the iPod Touch forum reveals that there is an issue with the music app on the iPod at this time. There are several threads about the music app closing shortly after starting a piece of music playing.

All I can suggest at this time is that you:

• wait for Apple to fix the issue
  • Restore the iPod, using iTunes, to see whether that fixes the problem. Note that a Restore will delete everything from your iPod, including all the music. I would only recommend using Restore if you're desperate

May 18, 2021 12:03 PM in response to dash227

The very first thing to try is to re-start the iPod.

Hold the power button in and when the power off slider appears slide it to the right to completely shut down the iPod. Once the screen goes off, press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears and wait for the iPod to complete power on.

Does that sort out the issue?

May 19, 2021 9:13 AM in response to the fiend

Restoring factory settings did not fix the problem. I did a Restore and imported backed up iPod info, which did not work. So I did a Restore and started completely from scratch, which also did not work. NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND AN OLDER SYSTEM IS PROBLEMATIC. It seems until the next iOS comes out, I have a non-working piece of equipment.

May 19, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Jayzee4

Thank you. Calling/texting/chatting with support is usually the last step on my list (old habit I guess I should break) as I have had years of trouble shooting experience, but if that got it done for you, I will give it a go! Appreciate your response... and look forward to getting back to my music (which, like you, is not stored in the cloud).

iPod Blues with iOS 12.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.