Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro screen going black after shut down

Hey. Ever since I plugged my MacBook Pro into a external monitor it has started to go black after I turn it on from shut down. After a few hours of my Mac being shut down I come back to it and turn it on it launches fine and takes me to my desktop after a few seconds however the screen turns off and is unresponsive. I have to hold down the power button and the fan turns off and then I have to wait a few seconds and hold the power button on again to turn it back on and the second time I turn it back on it doesn’t go black so I think that my Mac stays on however the screen is black but I have had this problem for about 6 months now and I do not want to have to erase my whole Mac to just fix this issue so I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this issue I am facing.

this issue isn’t much of a big deal but is annoying to have to do every time I turn my Mac on especially that it did not do this before. I would appreciate any help anyone can give and I am willing to try any solution that you come up with that isn’t erasing my Mac.

thanks, Zak.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 19, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 8:27 AM

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Zak_!

We see that you're having some issues with your Mac starting up correctly. We'll be happy to see how we can help.

To start, let's Start up your Mac in safe mode and see if the issue continues there. That will give us some more info about what's going on. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 8:27 AM in response to Zak_

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Zak_!

We see that you're having some issues with your Mac starting up correctly. We'll be happy to see how we can help.

To start, let's Start up your Mac in safe mode and see if the issue continues there. That will give us some more info about what's going on. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers.

macbook pro screen going black after shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.