Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod wont sync after reloading itunes.

ipod touch 6th gen and Windows 10. My computer was repaired, which required wiping the drive. I had full back up of itunes library so re-installed itunes and the library. Since the repair/wipe, I have added or amended several songs in my library. Went to sync yesterday and while the computer screen shows the ipod is syncing, none of the changes to my library are showing on the ipod. Is there an option that I have accidentally changed that may be causing this? Thx.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on May 19, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 10:59 AM

john in toronto wrote:

I assume by SYNC you mean the sync button in the bottom right corner when I connect the ipod to the computer?

No, as mentioned, you need to set up sync options, not simply hit the Sync button.

When iTunes sees your iPod, click on the iPod icon that appears towards the top of the window:

• Now select the Settings/Music option, as shown below (this screenshot is a different iPod, hence a different iPod name):

• In the right hand panel select the Sync Music option (it will add 727 songs to my iPod)
  • Select either:
    • Entire music library - which will add all the music in your iTunes Library to your iPod, or
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres - which will then (and only then) display the sections shown in my screenshot: Playlists, Artists, Genres and Albums. In these sections, you can choose which items you want to add to you iPod; only the items you select will be added
  • Now you will have to tap the Sync button for these changes to take effect, because the automatic Sync will have completed and once again, achieved nothing

If that doesn't work - and it should, then we can consider whether there is another cause. To avoid confusion, we'll discuss it then, not now.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 10:59 AM in response to john in toronto

john in toronto wrote:

I assume by SYNC you mean the sync button in the bottom right corner when I connect the ipod to the computer?

No, as mentioned, you need to set up sync options, not simply hit the Sync button.

When iTunes sees your iPod, click on the iPod icon that appears towards the top of the window:

• Now select the Settings/Music option, as shown below (this screenshot is a different iPod, hence a different iPod name):

• In the right hand panel select the Sync Music option (it will add 727 songs to my iPod)
  • Select either:
    • Entire music library - which will add all the music in your iTunes Library to your iPod, or
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres - which will then (and only then) display the sections shown in my screenshot: Playlists, Artists, Genres and Albums. In these sections, you can choose which items you want to add to you iPod; only the items you select will be added
  • Now you will have to tap the Sync button for these changes to take effect, because the automatic Sync will have completed and once again, achieved nothing

If that doesn't work - and it should, then we can consider whether there is another cause. To avoid confusion, we'll discuss it then, not now.

Jun 10, 2021 11:23 AM in response to k2kitty

k2kitty wrote:
I don’t want to lose music that I legitimately bought from iTunes that is not showing up in my new library.

Then download that additional music from the iTunes Store, into your iTunes Library (on your computer) and then do the Sync setup and allow a Sync. (You will need to sign into your iTunes account in your iTunes Library in order to download the new music.)

The reason for all this is that your iPod can only synchronise with one Library. To Sync with a new Library (which is what you're now doing) iTunes needs to delete the content of your old Library from your iPod. However, if your new Library is made from a backup of your old one, then all your old music is in your new iTunes Library, isn't it?

As for the new music, presumably bought by using the iPod to buy it directly from the iTunes Store, then as mentioned above, download it into your Library.

Finally, Playlists and Play Counts etc:

does your new Library have the Playlists that you have on the iPod? If your backup was only of your music and not the iTunes control files (the .itl file), then any Playlists, Play Counts and ratings given to songs may not be in your Library, or not up to date. In that event, you'll either have to lose them and start again or - spend time re-creating the Playlists and editing song ratings, before you sync your iPod to your new Library.

Your Action Plan:

1. in iTunes (on your computer), sign into your iTunes account
  2. download your newly purchased music from the store, into your iTunes Library
  3. make sure that all the music on your iPod is now in your new iTunes Library, either from;
    1. your backup of your old Library
    2. by downloading the new store purchases from the iTunes Store
    3. re-downloading any music you purchased (as mp3s etc.) from other sources such as Amazon from your account with that particular store
    4. re-importing from any CDs that you used
      1. if any music is missing, you need to re-add it to your Library now
  4. decide what you're going to do about any missing Playlists etc. as mentioned above - and then do that work
  5. once your Library has all your music in it, setup the Sync options I outlined in my previous post and allow a Sync to take place
  6. the music that was on your iPod will be deleted, but it will be replaced by that same music from your new Library

I realise this is a faff, but I think this is what you will have to do in order to ensure you don't lose songs.

There is a method for moving your iTunes Library from one computer to another (or in your case, rebuilding your computer) but for this occasion, you'll have to make do with this revised method. More crucially, always maintain a backup of all your music. An iPod is not a suitable backup. You should backup the entire iTunes Music folder (complete with the iTunes .itl file that's in it) to external storage and keep it up to date. The .itl file tells iTunes what rating you've given to songs, the last time a song was played and the total number of plays - and it keeps your Playlists.

May 19, 2021 9:14 AM in response to john in toronto

Your current (newly installed) iTunes has never connected to your iPod before, so it thinks this is a new iPod. I'm surprised you didn't see a message/warning asking if you wanted to sync the two, which would involve removing existing content from your iPod and replacing it with content from the Library.

You need to set up Sync options between iTunes and your iPod as though it's new. Be aware that iTunes will ask you if you wish to delete the music that is currently on your iPod and replace it with music from your iTunes Library. What that means is any music on your iPod that is not in your current Library will not be added to the iPod.

My ipod wont sync after reloading itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.