Problem synching iTunes and iPod Touch 5th Generation

I have been routinely using iTunes synching to iPod Touch 5th Generation for many years.

Unfortunately I am now experiencing a problem.

FYI I am using the following;

• MS Windows 11
  • iTunes Version 12.12.9.4
  • iPod Touch 5th Gen - IOS 9.3.5 Build 13G36

The problem is that the synchronisation process appears to be progressing correctly but when finished if I look at the tracks under MUSIC on the iPod in iTunes they are all greyed out and there is a symbol on the far left against each track which is not included in the Apple iTunes documentation (iTunes HELP). The tracks are not on seen on the iPod after disconnection from the laptop. Please see the screen capture below.

Thanks in anticipation of your help/advice.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 10:41 AM

Try these if you haven't already -

1. Make sure you're connected to the internet throughout the whole sync
  2. Redownload the songs from Apple Music (delete from library and add again)
  3. Make sure that the iPod has enough free storage to hold those greyed out songs

I also suggest trying with Windows 10/macOS 10.14 or earlier, as iTunes hasn't had a major update in a few years now it might not be fully compatible with Windows 11. iTunes was still getting feature updates on Windows 10's and macOS Mojave's releases, so it might be worth giving it a shot.

Of course if it was working fine on Windows 11 before ignore this last point.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 10:41 AM in response to JohnS17UK

Try these if you haven't already -

1. Make sure you're connected to the internet throughout the whole sync
  2. Redownload the songs from Apple Music (delete from library and add again)
  3. Make sure that the iPod has enough free storage to hold those greyed out songs

I also suggest trying with Windows 10/macOS 10.14 or earlier, as iTunes hasn't had a major update in a few years now it might not be fully compatible with Windows 11. iTunes was still getting feature updates on Windows 10's and macOS Mojave's releases, so it might be worth giving it a shot.

Of course if it was working fine on Windows 11 before ignore this last point.

Problem synching iTunes and iPod Touch 5th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.